Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Funny little de-conversion
Funny little de-conversion
There's a girl I've been talking to for a while, and she's pretty in to me. When we had our first serious conversation a couple months ago, I said I don't believe in any god, and she said she believes in god, but not the Christian one. I dropped it immediately, and didn't bring it up again.

We've talked a lot about everything, and I've noticed that she's been agreeing with me more and more lately. I mentioned that I'm an atheist for the second time at dinner the other night, pointing out that nobody can give me a solid rational argument for the existence of god. She replied by saying "Yeah, I'm thoroughly atheist. The idea of god just isn't reasonable." Not exactly her shining moment intellectually, but I feel fairly accomplished for "converting" someone without even arguing Big Grin

My own transition was much longer and less interesting, and involved realizing how damn much sense evolution makes and how it's a bullshit neo-christian copout to pick and choose which parts of the Bible you take seriously. Realizing that I couldn't be a fundamentalist and I wasn't willing to half ass it, I slowly became an "agnostic", then learned to call myself an atheist as I became more comfortable in my new world-view.
RE: Funny little de-conversion
Good for you! Too bad that all conversion stories aren't that painless..

Welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Hi Welcome. My deconversion was pretty sudden. The first time it even occured to me that one didn't have to believe in god I became agnostic. The second time it occured to me I became an athesit.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(October 1, 2012 at 7:57 pm)will_alltogether Wrote: There's a girl I've been talking to for a while, and she's pretty in to me. When we had our first serious conversation a couple months ago, I said I don't believe in any god, and she said she believes in god, but not the Christian one. I dropped it immediately, and didn't bring it up again.

We've talked a lot about everything, and I've noticed that she's been agreeing with me more and more lately. I mentioned that I'm an atheist for the second time at dinner the other night, pointing out that nobody can give me a solid rational argument for the existence of god. She replied by saying "Yeah, I'm thoroughly atheist. The idea of god just isn't reasonable." Not exactly her shining moment intellectually, but I feel fairly accomplished for "converting" someone without even arguing Big Grin

WOW!
That is impressive on one level.

But I think there is a fairly low threshold in general for entry to Team Atheism. Or should I say Non-Stamp Collecting?

Like you say...''Not exactly her shining moment intellectually''
Welcome, the wife and I had an intellectual conversation the other week http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb-f8CTafHs
(October 2, 2012 at 3:01 am)Lion IRC Wrote: Or should I say Non-Stamp Collecting?

Wait, what? No no no, lets dwell on whatever this is for a moment.
Elaborate.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
will_alltogether Wrote:My own transition was much longer and less interesting, and involved realizing how damn much sense evolution makes and how it's a bullshit neo-christian copout to pick and choose which parts of the Bible you take seriously.

My parents are non-practicing Catholics that believe in evolution. I was talking to my dad about evolution and god and I told him the problem I had theologically: if Genesis isn't literal, then what the hell did Jesus die for? A metaphor? My dad doesn't dwell on these thoughts like I do and he didn't really see any solution.

I wish I could meet a Catholic that could tell me how it actually works out theologically... Anyways, nice story!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information Conversion - De-conversion *Long* rskovride 9 3370 March 4, 2018 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  My conversion story, just to get it off my chest. LadyForCamus 4 1940 December 26, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  My Conversion Story Rancid 16 4606 February 21, 2015 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  The Conversion Story of a Kid Kloud 11 3387 December 18, 2014 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My de-converted re-conversion Rarthyr500 47 13388 December 8, 2014 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Yet another Christian-to-Atheism conversion DoctorChumba 7 3054 June 29, 2013 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  My Conversion from Fundamentalism (Long!) Archbow 33 13784 November 7, 2012 at 9:58 am
Last Post: SkepticalMoron
  My conversion frogger6 11 3587 September 26, 2012 at 9:49 am
Last Post: festive1
  Hello all! I'm new here. My de- conversion story. Short and sweet. Sinyail 2 2290 March 4, 2011 at 2:35 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  My conversion to atheism williamalexander 10 4645 June 9, 2010 at 12:03 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13