Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spitzer confirms cosmological inflation
Spitzer confirms cosmological inflation
A team of astronomers, using NASA's Spitzer space telescope has confirmed cosmological inflation and has refined the error range of acceleration to 74.3 +/- 2.1 km/megaparsec (the Hubble constant).

NASA Wrote:Unlike NASA's Hubble Space Telescope, which views the cosmos in visible light, Spitzer took advantage of long-wavelength infrared light to make its new measurement. It improves by a factor of 3 on a similar, seminal study from the Hubble telescope and brings the uncertainty down to 3 percent, a giant leap in accuracy for cosmological measurements. The newly refined value for the Hubble constant is 74.3 plus or minus 2.1 kilometers per second per megaparsec. A megaparsec is roughly 3 million light-years. (*)

(*) A megaparsec is 3.26 light-years.
RE: Spitzer confirms cosmological inflation
I find it funny it is called a constant.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(October 4, 2012 at 8:37 pm)Polaris Wrote: I find it funny it is called a constant.

Why is that? It's no less a constant than the rate of acceleration due to Earth's gravity (9.8 m/s^2). It isn't the speed from the POV an observer that's constant, but rather the rate of acceleration per unit of distance (or time, in the case of my example).
Rather like the term Big Bang, 'Hubble Constant' is something of a misnomer. More accurately it's called the Hubble Parameter, as it depends on time. It's the proportion between the recession velocity of galaxies and their distance.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 4, 2012 at 8:45 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Rather like the term Big Bang, 'Hubble Constant' is something of a misnomer. More accurately it's called the Hubble Parameter, as it depends on time. It's the proportion between the recession velocity of galaxies and their distance.

Yeah, "Big Bang" is an unfortunate name which, as the story goes, was coined by Fred Hoyle, a proponent of the steady-state model. It's not an accurate term in any sense, but alas, it stuck.
(October 4, 2012 at 8:42 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(October 4, 2012 at 8:37 pm)Polaris Wrote: I find it funny it is called a constant.

Why is that? It's no less a constant than the rate of acceleration due to Earth's gravity (9.8 m/s^2). It isn't the speed from the POV an observer that's constant, but rather the rate of acceleration per unit of distance (or time, in the case of my example).

It is only a constant at this relative point in time. The acceleration is not constant over the geologic timescale.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
Perhaps you misspoke there; the geologic timescale is a heartbeat in comparison with cosmic time.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 4, 2012 at 9:08 pm)Polaris Wrote:
(October 4, 2012 at 8:42 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Why is that? It's no less a constant than the rate of acceleration due to Earth's gravity (9.8 m/s^2). It isn't the speed from the POV an observer that's constant, but rather the rate of acceleration per unit of distance (or time, in the case of my example).

It is only a constant at this relative point in time. The acceleration is not constant over the geologic timescale.

I'm sure you meant "cosmologic timescale". Point taken, though. It's observed to be constant at this point in time, and thought to have been so for quite some time (perhaps half the age of the universe). Of course, we don't know the latter with any certainty.
(October 4, 2012 at 9:19 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Perhaps you misspoke there; the geologic timescale is a heartbeat in comparison with cosmic time.

Not necessarily. The Earth is currently about 1/3 the age of the universe. When the Earth is twice as old as it is now it will be about 1/2 the age of the universe. If it makes it to 3 times its current age it will be about 60% of the age of the universe. If Earth survives the expansion of the sun it is not beyond the realm of possibility that it could last for trillions of years. At which point for all practical intents and purposes geological time will be the same as cosmic time.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(October 4, 2012 at 9:19 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Perhaps you misspoke there; the geologic timescale is a heartbeat in comparison with cosmic time.

Not really much difference as both deal in billions of years. Only way I would see a real significant difference would be if I still believed in the collapsing universes theory.

It is not believed to be constant because of the believed exponential effects of dark energy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inflation without a beginning: a null boundary proposal Jehanne 7 927 May 30, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Evidence of cosmic inflation expands understanding of universe’s origins tor 3 1478 March 22, 2014 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Zen Badger
  AUS researchers' finding back Cosmological Principle Jackalope 0 1174 September 17, 2012 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  CERN confirms new particle. Annik 24 16755 July 9, 2012 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Cosmological Fine Tuning Pete 60 13789 December 28, 2011 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: Cyberman