Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pumpkins!
Pumpkins!
http://grist.org/food/pumpkin-crop-defie...sceration/

Quote:The drought forced thousands of ranchers to sell off cattle because pastures were too dry to graze, and corn and soybean farmers watched their plants wither in the summer sun. But John Ackerman said most of the pumpkins he planted fared “fantastic” for a simple, single reason: Pumpkins dig dry weather. …

Pathology may help explain why pumpkins coped better than most crops at beating the heat. A relative of squashes, cucumbers, watermelons and cantaloupe, pumpkins tend to thrive in warm, temperate climates that stave off fungus, mold and other rind-rotting diseases that spread in wet conditions, said Dan Egel, a plant pathologist with Purdue University’s extension.

Also, pumpkins grown from seeds — the most common way — have tremendous root systems that reach deep into the ground, enabling them to reach moisture that corn and other crops without taproots cannot find.

And they're delicious! We should exploit this more! Did you know you can make them grow overtop of sheds?
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Pumpkins!
I'm not sure that I would be able to grow pumpkins, but I'm definitely interested in eating them. Pumpkins are not a big deal over here, the only time I've come into contact with said veggie was at school, when the cooks insisted on putting pickled pumpkin in the salads (fucking nasty!) and when my former manager treated me to a slice of pumpkin pie when I took care of her dogs for a week. Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

There are a whole host of wonderful things pumpkin can be cooked or stirred into, not to mention baking and eating their seeds.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Pumpkin ravioli. That is all I have to say.
New England Pie pumpkins make the best pumpkin pie.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]