Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chemical Origin of Life
Chemical Origin of Life
How do you answer this challenge?

The scientists must admit that they still do not know the origin of life. Their claim that they will soon prove a chemical origin of life is something like paying someone with a postdated check. Suppose I give you a postdated check for ten thousand dollars but I actually have no money. What is the value of that check? Scientists are claiming that their science is wonderful, but when a practical example is wanted, they say they will provide it in the future... The scientists cannot produce even a single blade of grass in their laboratories, yet they are claiming that life is produced from chemicals. What is this nonsense? Is no one questioning this? - Life Comes from Life, p. 10
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
RE: Chemical Origin of Life
(October 15, 2012 at 4:00 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: How do you answer this challenge?

The scientists must admit that they still do not know the origin of life. Their claim that they will soon prove a chemical origin of life is something like paying someone with a postdated check. Suppose I give you a postdated check for ten thousand dollars but I actually have no money. What is the value of that check? Scientists are claiming that their science is wonderful, but when a practical example is wanted, they say they will provide it in the future... The scientists cannot produce even a single blade of grass in their laboratories, yet they are claiming that life is produced from chemicals. What is this nonsense? Is no one questioning this? - Life Comes from Life, p. 10

[Image: crickets.gif]

-> https://atheistforums.org/thread-15292.html

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 15, 2012 at 4:00 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: The scientists must admit that they still do not know the origin of life.
they are honest enough to say they don't know all the answers.
(October 15, 2012 at 4:00 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: Their claim that they will soon prove a chemical origin of life is something like paying someone with a postdated check.
They are working on finding out how life started. These constant whimpers of life from life. Are they some kind of protest of people actually wanting to find out? Surely if you are right and some magic being made life then surely you should not be worried about scientists finding out.

(October 15, 2012 at 4:00 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: Suppose I give you a postdated check for ten thousand dollars but I actually have no money. What is the value of that check?
Thats bullshit. If you want to use that analogy its like a check apart from you have seen their bank balance increasing and they have signed a contract.

(October 15, 2012 at 4:00 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: Scientists are claiming that their science is wonderful, but when a practical example is wanted, they say they will provide it in the future...
No most things they will show you if they can. If you bothered to actually go look for this stuff its fascinating. As far as showing you something they are still figuring out that's a daft thing to ask for. its like me asking you to play a song you haven't fully learned yet. You would maybe be able to show me parts of it but not the finished song.
(October 15, 2012 at 4:00 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: The scientists cannot produce even a single blade of grass in their laboratories, yet they are claiming that life is produced from chemicals. What is this nonsense? Is no one questioning this?
Lmao. Grass is quite complicated and being going at it for a few billion years. Here watch this video. It will explain it in a way you will hopefully get.

And btw this isnt really a point but quite cool. My science teacher at school genetically modified a small patch of lemon scented blue grass.

Please explain the origin of your god.
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
You don't have the answer right this very minute!? Let's just quit trying to figure it out and say it was magic or whatever.

Pardon me while my brain dies.
Well, if someone is honest enough to admit they don't know, that's fair.

What's dishonest is when scientists pretend they know that life is advanced chemistry, when that clearly hasn't been proven.
(October 15, 2012 at 7:43 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: Well, if someone is honest enough to admit they don't know, that's fair.

What's dishonest is when scientists pretend they know that life is advanced chemistry, when that clearly hasn't been proven.

Scientists are humans, too. And many of them are buttfucking stupid when you get them outside their specializations in beakers and test tubes or whatnot.

As famed physicist Richard Feynman famously quipped:
"I believe that a scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy."

Unfortunately, many scientist don't recognize implicitly that why, how, or in what measure science actually works is a philosophical question, not a scientific one. Yet many scientists (or at least the few I have in fact locked horns with) do not recognize this distinction. In part because, again, recognizing such distinctions is a philosophy problem, for which they are once again outside their depth.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 15, 2012 at 7:43 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: Well, if someone is honest enough to admit they don't know, that's fair.

What scientists are doing is looking for answers from catagory of things proven to exist- advanced chemistry, not thing with utterly no support-god
(October 15, 2012 at 8:45 am)Chuck Wrote: What scientists are doing is looking for answers from catagory of things proven to exist- advanced chemistry, not thing with utterly no support-god
That's perfectly fine, please keep looking. But until there's actually a real answer, it's dishonest to presume that God is not a very live possibility.
Grass is actually very young IX. 55-130my.

@Krish
Nice argument from ignorance you';re peddling there Krishna. You don't know therefore god. No. We know quite a bit about this whole god bullshit. We know that gods are a product of human fantasy, for example, and that they are nowhere to be found where human fantasies are not entertained. In the case of magical anthropomorphic forces it isn't what we don't know but what we do know that makes the notion worthy of mockery and those proposing it worthy of ridicule. That life is advanced chemistry is a simple fucking observation, not some great mystery. What -do- you think you're made of, pixie dust? Whether you choose to daydream about a creator or any other form of abiogenesis the creator or force or event referenced is a goddamned chemist.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Life comes from life Won2blv 16 2979 April 7, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Options for origin of universe Kingpin 31 6295 August 5, 2015 at 10:20 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  The Origin of Life - Abiogenesis - Dr. Jack Szostak little_monkey 1 1848 June 27, 2013 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Study: the origin of morality Foxaèr 30 7773 May 13, 2013 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  An interview with Edward O. Wilson "the origin of morals" Something completely different 1 1097 February 26, 2013 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Nobody
  can we really ever know true origin? mamamia88 12 3918 January 10, 2011 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: Skipper
  Which version of the origin of species? mamamia88 20 5462 December 23, 2010 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: mamamia88