Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Human Value Nonexistent?
Human Value Nonexistent?
Richard Dawkins’ assessment of human worth may be depressing, but why, on atheism, is he mistaken, when he says, “there is at bottom no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but pointless indifference. . . . We are machines for propagating DNA. . . . It is every living object’s sole reason for being”?

Richard Dawkins, River out of Eden: a Darwinian View of Life (New York: Basic Books, 1996), p. 133 and Richard Dawkins, “The Ultraviolet Garden,” Lecture 4 of 7 Royal Institution Christmas Lectures (1992)
RE: Human Value Nonexistent?
Still clinging to the elitist ideals Jeff??

You will never be able to accept that you are just another schmuck like the rest of us will you?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
From the perspective of biology that looks to be fairly accurate. Why is that supposed to be depressing?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Agreed Rhythm. I do not find it depressing.

Mind you I can understand someone who has been indoctrinated to firmly believe that they are "special", "chosen", "elitist", without "sin" or "criminality" would find such a revelation to be an affront to their tiny little world and so "depressing"; that they are just as grotty as the lowest person on the planet.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(October 17, 2012 at 7:45 am)Reasonable_Jeff Wrote: Richard Dawkins’ assessment of human worth may be depressing, but why, on atheism, is he mistaken, when he says, “there is at bottom no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but pointless indifference. . . . We are machines for propagating DNA. . . . It is every living object’s sole reason for being”?

Richard Dawkins, River out of Eden: a Darwinian View of Life (New York: Basic Books, 1996), p. 133 and Richard Dawkins, “The Ultraviolet Garden,” Lecture 4 of 7 Royal Institution Christmas Lectures (1992)

From a strictly biological point of view this is essentially correct.

The universe at large does not give a rats arse about us.

Which why it is up to us as rational being to find our own meaning.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
OP Why do you want a reason?
(October 17, 2012 at 7:47 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Still clinging to the elitist ideals Jeff??

You will never be able to accept that you are just another schmuck like the rest of us will you?

I am not a chipmunk. I can make more of myself by pragmatically understanding my capacities as given to me evolution than ever can a Christian relying on the make belief favors of a nonexistent god. Chips can also make more of themselves than if they were Christians, but not nearly as much as if they were me.
The universe is indifferent to us.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Nothing matters...except to beings capable of having things matter to them. The universe not caring about me does not in any way diminish my capacity to care about myself, my loved ones, humanity, and other living things.
(October 17, 2012 at 7:45 am)Reasonable_Jeff Wrote: Richard Dawkins’ assessment of human worth may be depressing, but why, on atheism, is he mistaken, when he says, “there is at bottom no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but pointless indifference. . . . We are machines for propagating DNA. . . . It is every living object’s sole reason for being”?

You are just dying to be "special," aren't you? You even invent gods to be your friends.

What a loser.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Human beings have virtually no value if they are just machines Transcended Dimensions 94 18177 December 16, 2017 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: Banned
  does the "Israel becoming a nation again prophecy" have any value snerie 48 13351 April 1, 2017 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Value of coincidences. Socratic Meth Head 23 3832 March 28, 2016 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Pope Markoff Chaney
Lightbulb Does human life have INHERENT value? Catholic_Lady 121 26087 June 30, 2015 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Do atheists give value to righteousness? Knowledge of God 45 7365 July 6, 2014 at 8:24 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Atheism vs Religious Value Mozart Link 12 2335 June 11, 2014 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Atheism not needed for a life of greater value/pleasure Mozart Link 24 5959 June 10, 2014 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  What time is of more value? Perpetual vs finite. Mystic 6 1293 May 11, 2014 at 1:09 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  The Value of Life thesummerqueen 8 1492 October 14, 2011 at 4:41 pm
Last Post: twocompulsive