Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Physicists show bias against female job applicants
Physicists show bias against female job applicants
Interesting study here on how both male and female physicists, assessing the employability of early-career scientists, subconsciously favour male students over females. http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news...applicants
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
RE: Physicists show bias against female job applicants
Yes, it's been quite well established that much of the scientific community is still an "old boys club." It's gotten much better than it used to be. My sister was easily able to break into her field right out of college, but I think most women in scientific fields would say there is still bias there.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I overheard some physics students the other day discussing how there were barely any female students on their course. Meanwhile my course is around 25-30% male and the lecturers have been telling us about the big increase of males on our course.
(October 25, 2012 at 3:20 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Yes, it's been quite well established that much of the scientific community is still an "old boys club." It's gotten much better than it used to be. My sister was easily able to break into her field right out of college, but I think most women in scientific fields would say there is still bias there.

I'm wondering whether "old boys club" is the right conclusion, given that the bias is shown to exist in both men and women, with regards to women.
[Image: generic_sig.jpg]
Sometimes it is better to sterotype than to waste time.
"Old boys club" may not be entirely proper given that there may possibly be women with bias towards women in science, but the phrase is still uselful in that it easily conveys the mindset of the people involved.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(October 25, 2012 at 3:20 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Yes, it's been quite well established that much of the scientific community is still an "old boys club." It's gotten much better than it used to be. My sister was easily able to break into her field right out of college, but I think most women in scientific fields would say there is still bias there.

Could it also be that it is an "old boys club" because of so few women are in it?

My sister is in the sciences, and she notes that some of the men don't know how to approach her. The ones she likes to work with treat her like a male student. The ones she hates either are dismissive, condescending or treat her awkwardly.

Is it just men? I've observed her interactions with other women in the sciences. To my surprise, the ones she prefers to work with treat her like the other students (who are predominantly male).

In sum, being treated like a special snowflake is unsettling and awkward for her.

I often wonder if the issue of women in sciences both begins and ends with not enough women in the sciences and a subsequent lack of experience or willpower to practice egalitarianism (famously stated by my current work's company leader as "I don't care. I don't care if you're dressed in a bunny suit or showing up high as long as you get your milestones done").
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Its not just sciences, the arts also discriminate.

http://www.osborne-conant.org/posts/blind.htm

It is very hard for people to ignore presumptions they make about groups, and see the individual in front of them. I have been on an interesting journey over the last twenty years where my conventional social standing has dropped markedly, and it has been very interesting noticing the different reactions people have to me over that period.
The above is not bias. It is blatant discrimination, albeit done to serve an existing audience whom does not care.

The same reason why Chick-Fil-A can continue -- their core demographic who they care very, very much for, in the end run, did not care what the myriad others who'd buy from CFA once and never again.

Nothing deeper than that.

To put in fashion speak, you can't make a modern shoe fit when the audience insists on it being from the 15th century.

If anything, the fossils who are most valued by the philharmonic have the final say.

Also, you're conflating a microcosm to the generic, all encompassing wide-spread issue outlined in preceding posts. In other words, it doesn't fit.

William Osborne's personal views do not scientific study make.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Well of course it is biased, just like racial i.q. studies. It is not based on the capability of the person (women) in general. But rather it's based upon the average women in that field. Besides it all depends on the persons interest, commitment, and passion. To be truth full if you had 100 men and 100 women who were all just as passionate about physics I'm sure it would be about dead even in their capabilities other than the fact women have better communication skills and work together better. :p
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Damn, should I even be watching this show? vorlon13 13 2441 August 18, 2017 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Implicit Bias and You. And Me. And Everyone.. Aroura 53 8286 October 13, 2016 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Questions about genders ... male/female Reader 74 12936 January 18, 2015 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  An even more interesting view of female privilege popeyespappy 0 1326 January 22, 2012 at 2:32 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Male or female??? frankiej 33 8698 October 24, 2011 at 5:32 am
Last Post: Violet
  Evolution Theory - please show the proofs NoGodaloud ? 161 55055 September 14, 2010 at 11:31 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb