Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Terrified into Atheism
Terrified into Atheism
My conversion sort of came in 2 separate parts.

I started off completely Christian. Everyone on my mother's side of the family led me into it (My parents split when I was a kid, and mom got custody.) They kept me that way for a good long time. Every night, all of us would gather around and do Christian stuff. Rosaries and bible-reading and whatever. I don't really remember. It was a pretty long time ago.

Anyway, we eventually got the Book of Revelation. I was 7 then, and it scared the ever loving shit out of me. So I abandoned the Christian belief, in secret of course, because I simply became unable to love a God that was capable of all that. I bounced from one belief system to another until I eventually found Atheism. At first, I only really stuck with it because there wasn't a hell to be afraid of.

After a while, science and evolution and all that just started making more sense than everything I was fed as a child. Now, I can no longer understand how I managed to believe the whole "God" thing.

Science just made more sense. It was literally the only one to provide concrete proof of its findings.

"God exists because he does. He has to. There's no way he doesn't."

That's the argument I always get, and it doesn't work for me. Atheism uses logic; something I am very much in love with.

Of course, I'm not out yet. The only other Atheists I'm related to are my cousin/best friend (whom I converted) and my dad. As a 16 year-old, I'm not quite ready to face being shunned and possibly disowned. Worse yet, they may cram Christianity down my throat in a horrid attempt at re-conversion.
[Image: 530586_4905425916384_11506356_n.jpg]
RE: Terrified into Atheism
If your dad's an atheist then he should be able to help quash the tide of evangelism that will come towards you. Also, since your dad is an atheist, it shouldn't start any real trouble at home, which is always a concern when deciding on whether on not to tell people you're an atheist. I say wear the label proudly, and don't worry about how others are going to react.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I'm just waiting until I'm legally allowed to move out of mom's house and stay with dad or something. They tend to be erratic, and make irrational decisions. Hence my fear of getting on their bad side. Right now I'm dependent on them for survival. When that's no longer true, then I'll stop giving a fuck what they think.
[Image: 530586_4905425916384_11506356_n.jpg]
Ah, I wasn't aware that you didn't live with both of your parents. If dad isn't around, and you have to be around your mother's family for long periods, keeping quiet for the moment is exactly what I would do too.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(October 26, 2012 at 9:26 am)Faith No More Wrote: Ah, I wasn't aware that you didn't live with both of your parents. If dad isn't around, and you have to be around your mother's family for long periods, keeping quiet for the moment is exactly what I would do too.

Then you didn't read his post, FNM. Tongue

Quote:(My parents split when I was a kid, and mom got custody.)

@OP: I would keep it quiet until, as you say, you're in a better position to fend for yourself.
Gambit Wrote:Then you didn't read his post, FNM.

Not very well, at least.
Welcome, Joseph.
Welcome! Coming out is hard, as I'm still finding out myself! My wife and two atheist coworkers are the only people I have told directly.
Good luck!
- Marc
- Your friendly Air Traffic Control Atheist.
Quote:Atheism uses logic; something I am very much in love with.

Xtians use "logic" too. Of course, they begin with an unsustainable premise...that THEIR god exists. You always have to challenge them on that. Let them get away with it once and they are off to the races with dump trucks of jesus shit.

Meanwhile, welcome.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Converted into Athiesm - My Story coolfunkDJ 15 4536 February 9, 2015 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Nope