Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converted into Athiesm - My Story
Converted into Athiesm - My Story
Hi, so I am 14 at the moment, but I have been questioning God since I was 12

What I am about to talk about all happened through a span of 2 years:

It all started when I found some flaws in the religion, like why would God ask Abraham to kill his son, if killing is against the 10 commandments? Double standards much? I mean that was the big one, but there was a lot

The only thing which kept me going was what I realise now is the "Placebo Effect", Thinking that God was talking to me and showing me signs through prayer, that when I asked him to help me with something, he would help

But The major pusher was when I started to think "What would happen if, in these situations, I dont prayer to God", and, unsuprisingly, no different, its a placebo (The brain tricking me into thinking its doing what im expecting it to do), so this is when I felt angry with myself

And then more and more thoughts started to pop up like:
If God loves us all, why would he let us burn in hell
Also, if he loves us, why did he flood so much more people than an earthquake, natural disaster or terrorist attack
And if he had no problem with doing that, why didnt he kill Adam And Eve?

And only one answer came into my head:
He didnt

This is when I felt betrayed, Angry, my parents was unintentionally lying to me, I have been limited to what I do and not been living my life to the fullest because of supernatural things, wasting my life at church

And thats why I became an Athiest
Please, tell me what you think, thank you!
RE: Converted into Athiesm - My Story
Welcome!

What they also tell you at Church is that Jesus was a White dude in the Middle-East...

The Church and it's Bible is full of lies and contradictions, I respect your choice of Atheism - a triumph of rationality and reason.
Welcome aboard coolfunkDJ.

Congrats on seeing through the BS. My kids (just a little older then you) managed it as well, despite hearing all the BS from their friends (and from their mom before she quit drinking the Kool-Aid).
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
I think I was about 12 when I really started questioning this stuff, too. Nice to have you here!

Btw you're born in '00? Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome

12 is actually the age when we develop logical reasoning, so that's probably why a lot of people mention it as the time they started questioning religion.
Welcome young man! Good to read your story. Keep learning and reading and make rationality your goal, and you'll be successful.

Hope you stick around and join in!
(February 8, 2015 at 5:04 pm)Norman Humann Wrote: Welcome

12 is actually the age when we develop logical reasoning, so that's probably why a lot of people mention it as the time they started questioning religion.

Oh I dunno about that. I know a pair of 6 and 7 yr olds who could do circles around my 'logical reasoning'.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(February 8, 2015 at 3:52 pm)coolfunkDJ Wrote: Hi, so I am 14 at the moment, but I have been questioning God since I was 12

What I am about to talk about all happened through a span of 2 years:

It all started when I found some flaws in the religion, like why would God ask Abraham to kill his son, if killing is against the 10 commandments? Double standards much? I mean that was the big one, but there was a lot

The only thing which kept me going was what I realise now is the "Placebo Effect", Thinking that God was talking to me and showing me signs through prayer, that when I asked him to help me with something, he would help

But The major pusher was when I started to think "What would happen if, in these situations, I dont prayer to God", and, unsuprisingly, no different, its a placebo (The brain tricking me into thinking its doing what im expecting it to do), so this is when I felt angry with myself

And then more and more thoughts started to pop up like:
If God loves us all, why would he let us burn in hell
Also, if he loves us, why did he flood so much more people than an earthquake, natural disaster or terrorist attack
And if he had no problem with doing that, why didnt he kill Adam And Eve?

And only one answer came into my head:
He didnt

This is when I felt betrayed, Angry, my parents was unintentionally lying to me, I have been limited to what I do and not been living my life to the fullest because of supernatural things, wasting my life at church

And thats why I became an Athiest
Please, tell me what you think, thank you!

Emotional reasons are not good reasons to accept or reject ANY claim. It isn't as much your parents were lying to you as much as it is that is what society sold them. Evidence is the only core and best reason to take any position.

I know atheists who have other woo, like si fi or new age woo which I cannot stand. Education is your best weapon. You are young but at your age trust me, while you got to the right side by thinking, don't stop.

Back in the late 80s I started to question, I didn't start calling myself an atheist until the mid 90s. But I was still ignorant of both theist and atheist positions. I first got online in 01 to seek out other atheists. I realized then I didn't know anything.

Books you should read.

Victor Stenger "God The Failed Hypothesis"
Victor Stenger "The New Atheism"
Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion"
Christopher Hitchens " God Is Not Great'
Sam Harris "The End Of Faith"
Sam Harris "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Ayaan Hersi Ali "Infidel"

Take your time it took me a several years.

websites I find useful

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com
http://www.positiveatheism.com
http://www.ffrf.org
http://www.atheists.org
This one

Terms you should be familiar with.

The problem with infinite regress.
The fallacy of Pascal's Wager.
Ocham's Razor.

That is for starters. Don't let that list overwhelm you. The best part is you can take your time and if you don't understand something don't feel stumped by believers when you take them on. Bring what they say back to sites like this and if you don't know something, someone here will.

Best thing is to learn, even from other posters. Know your arguments and know their arguments as well.
(February 8, 2015 at 6:14 pm)Luckie Wrote: Oh I dunno about that. I know a pair of 6 and 7 yr olds who could do circles around my 'logical reasoning'.

I could've phrased that better. We begin developing it at 6-7 and until 11-12, so yeah :p
(February 8, 2015 at 3:52 pm)coolfunkDJ Wrote: Hi, so I am 14 at the moment, but I have been questioning God since I was 12

Stay out of my lawn Cranky

Anyway, Welcome

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Converted To Atheist: In_Correct 5 2284 December 18, 2016 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  So my story of becoming a non-believer: Mechaghostman2 2 1738 January 8, 2016 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Old Baby
  My conversion story, just to get it off my chest. LadyForCamus 4 1912 December 26, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  My Deconversion Story PhilliptheTeenageAtheist 26 5280 June 2, 2015 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  My Conversion Story Rancid 16 4523 February 21, 2015 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Recent convert - My story Regina 6 2300 January 7, 2015 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Regina
  The Conversion Story of a Kid Kloud 11 3325 December 18, 2014 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My de-converted re-conversion Rarthyr500 47 12949 December 8, 2014 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  My Deconversion Story warlocksarebest 15 4489 November 20, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Logical Adolecent
  Another Story Raevoryx 9 3800 August 13, 2014 at 1:20 am