Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orwell's 1984 and Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 combined?
Orwell's 1984 and Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 combined?
I have recently read the two books and let me tell you this: I think right now, in the year 2012, our reality is like a combination of these two books. I wonder what you think:

In Fahrenheit 451, people have flat panel TVs on their walls (!) and never read books.

In 1984, everyone has a TV in their flat that CANNOT be turned off.

Recently after visiting different people on different occasions I realized that a LOT of them have their flat panel TVs constantly on and never ever read books As far as the content of the programming is concerned, apart from tons of advertising it consists of a mixture of silly interactive shows that take a patronizing stance towards the viewer (like in Fahrenheit 451) and propaganda (like in 1984).

In F541 people didn't read books because they were forbidden. In 1984 people could read books but their content was controlled and constantly changed by the government. In both realities the purpose was to stop people from thinking too much after reading books. It was much better to simply "stupify" them with television. I wonder what you think about all this
RE: Orwell's 1984 and Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 combined?
They are as relevant now as when they were written. No more, no less.
I don't really think that we're nearly that bad. I have read Farenheit 451, but not the other one. Flat screen TVs are one thing, but does everyone really do that? Almost literally everyone does in Fareheit 451; the main character is disillusioned with it all. The speed limit on the highway is hundreds of miles per hour (although the autobahn might have that) and billboards were sixty feet long so people could see them. I don't think the government is really trying to censor things that much. Sure, it does sometimes (more where you live? I don't know) but I think they generally try not to, so long as state secrets aren't being leaked. Considering the ending to Fahrenheit 451, I would say that we aren't in that society at all. Discussion of ending below.

Now, I'm not saying that there are no parallels to that society, but I don't think that ours is on nearly that level of blindness.
Some time ago I read "Die verlorene Ehre der Katarina Blum"/"The lost Honour of Katarina Blum" by the great german writer Heinrich Böll.

It`s about a woman who has a one night stand with a stranger whom she had never met before in her entire life.
The next morning after the guy is gone and while she is in the shower a special forces police commando storm her appartment.
It turns out that the man she went to bead with was a bankrobber and suspected left-wing terrorist.
In the rest of the book it is discribed in horrifying detail, how the tabloid press and especialy one tabloid "journalist", ruins her reputation and life, by publishing factless reports in newspapers based on assumptions which trash her public image. It goes so far that they eaven harass her sick and hospitalized mother with questions about her daughter - and thereby drive the broken woman into death.
In the novels climax, Katarina invites the tabloid "journalist" to an interview, (he has never before talked to her, he doesnt know any facts about her; but has still completly ruined her public image and reputation by writing factles smeararticles which are nothing but lies about her "sexlife" and "conection to terrorists"), right at the beginning of the "interview", the "journalist" tries to talk her into having sex with him, disgusted and ruined of and by him - she murderes him.
After that she is arrested and put into jail.
The novel ends with Katarina not being trialed for the murder and she almoust commiting suicide.
In the 1970s movie -the plot ends with the "journalists" funeral, in which the tabloids publisher holds a speech, praising the "journalist" as a defender of "free speech and free press".

It is one of the greatest german novels writen in the past century and certainly contributed greatly to Heinrich Böll being the first post - world war 2 writer to gain the nobel prize for literature.

It was writen during a time in which the german tabloid "Die Bild Zeitung", ruined peoples lives and carreers without mercy, by publishing articles and launching smearcampains based on lies.
This novel and the public actions undertaken by many public figures including Günter Grass - lead to the "Bild" thinking over it`s way of publishing, and although still a useless tabloid which I wouldnt eaven use to wipe my ass, it is no longer the horrible dishonest piece of shit it use to be.

To me it is the best "utopian" novel about press - culture and a possible threat to democracy. Especialy when one looks at the horrible print media in the UK (like the Sun or Daily Mail), the fact that 2 thirds of the italian press and media are owned by Berlosconi and the absolutly biased and oftern fact-ignoring media in the US.
I am not a big fan of 1984, Brave new World and Fahrenheit 451. I guess TV,Internet etc. have done a lot to broadcast opinions and to start debate rather than indoctrinating people.
The closest to the Orwelian media in reality are probably the 3 examples i have given before. And state funded indoctrination press is something reserved to dictatorships rather than being common in democracies. Press and media - as long as they are objective and honest, are one of the cornerstones of a functioning democratic sociaty., therefor to me, the novel which discribes the destructive force of biased dishonest tabloid media in a democracy, is the better novel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Ho...arina_Blum
Wasn't the point in '1984' for not allowing people to turn off their televisions that they had cameras in them that were used to monitor the population?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 1, 2012 at 9:12 am)Faith No More Wrote: Wasn't the point in '1984' for not allowing people to turn off their televisions that they had cameras in them that were used to monitor the population?

That and to ensure they were constantly bombarded by propaganda.
Thank you. It's been very long since I read that, and this thread made me question whether I was remembering it correctly.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
My husband is researching for a book on totalitarian dictatorships in Africa. He re-read 1984 and is drawing parallels between Orwell's work and actual governments. The idea of controlling the information the masses receive, though in most African cases it's not so technologically advanced as spy cameras and television ads. We've been discussing this a lot recently, and it is very creepy some of the controls put in place to prevent opposition to the ruling governments, and the sheer level of brutality. We complain about Western or American media, but truly it could be and is a lot worse elsewhere in the world. Just food for thought.
(November 1, 2012 at 12:02 am)Ciel_Rouge Wrote: I have recently read the two books and let me tell you this: I think right now, in the year 2012, our reality is like a combination of these two books. I wonder what you think:

In Fahrenheit 451, people have flat panel TVs on their walls (!) and never read books.

In 1984, everyone has a TV in their flat that CANNOT be turned off.

Recently after visiting different people on different occasions I realized that a LOT of them have their flat panel TVs constantly on and never ever read books As far as the content of the programming is concerned, apart from tons of advertising it consists of a mixture of silly interactive shows that take a patronizing stance towards the viewer (like in Fahrenheit 451) and propaganda (like in 1984).

In F541 people didn't read books because they were forbidden. In 1984 people could read books but their content was controlled and constantly changed by the government. In both realities the purpose was to stop people from thinking too much after reading books. It was much better to simply "stupify" them with television. I wonder what you think about all this

What is so sick about business owners and the cooporate climate, is that these books were not on their side, but warned us of what a monopoly can look like.

As great as 1984 was, where it failed was that it takes resorces to create a monopoly. So the reality would be if that book were not fiction, those in control would have to control wealth and resorces to keep society under its absolute power.

It failed to say that ALL FORMS OF POWER still require resources to maintain that power.

I often warn people not to take "capitalism" as a form of government. The root of the word simply means "to gain resorces". It does not talk about ethics in how that is done, simple it means to gain resources.

China has a form of capitialism, the communist party maintains its power through the sale of cheap goods to the rest of the world and the use of slave wages and sweat shops. But it would not have that power if it did not make money to keep that power. Gaddaffi was a billionaire who owned stock in GE.

It all cuts to the reality as long as people seak power they will need money to get that power. So to avoid 1984 the issue isn't ending wealth, but maintaining a ban on monopolies of power, be they political, religious or business.

What the right misses about 1984 is that ANYGHING left to it's own devices can and will seek a monopoly and it will always take resources to set up that monopoly.

I love 1984 because it reminds us of what can happen. But I hate it because people missunderstand it and use it to scare people into voting against their own self interest.

So when you talk about the flat screen TVs dipicted, what the right misses is that China would do that and North Korea would do that. But so would the Koch brothers. Monopolies are not an issue of politics or wealth, but absolute power through the force of using overwhelming resources to control others.

To say that that has not happened in America is bullshit. There was a period in West Virgina's coal mining history where the owners of the mine set up a monopoly where they owned everything from the housing to the grocery stores and paid the workers, not in currancy, but in company script. By the time the worker paid their bills, they were broke or in dept forcing them to be slaves to the company. It was basically legalized endentured slavery.

This is the mindset, NOT ALL, but the majority mindset of Cooporate America. It is looking at the potential profits of China and their slave sweat shop model which is succesfull fo rthe CEOS and investors, but is slavery to the worker.

1984 did not address this aspect of absolute power and far too often is used by the right to scare us into accepting the very thing we want to avoid and should avoid.

The point of the boiok isn't pro business, the point of the book is to avoid absolute power. As I pointed out, Gaddafi was not poor, so wealth does not mean you wont use it to become a dictator. Saudi Arabia's royal family controls the weath and thus maintains its theocracy.

THAT is what 1984 us warning us about. To avoid absolute power you must always understand that it still takes resources to set up that absolute power. And only the concepts of anti monopoly and andi abuse can keep any form of fascism at bay, including the immoral slave climate of the coal mines of West Virginia.

Money by itself is not evil. wealth by itself is not evil. Ignoring the fact that it can be used to abuse and control others is evil. To claim that never happens is bullshit when I have pointed out here that it has and can be used to abuse and control others.
I find the above posts very interesting, portraying culturally a different reading than I am used to, good art adapts to different audiences.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1984 paulpablo 37 2596 August 20, 2016 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Orbital - Fahrenheit 303 Edwardo Piet 0 587 October 5, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell Reforged 21 8672 August 19, 2012 at 8:55 am
Last Post: Faith No More