Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe this is just a knee jerk reaction having just read this book, but this might be the best book I've ever read.

The story made me think of religion, the quran, the bible, government, even just general psychology of brainwashing yourself in order to fit in within day to day life, which I think people do all the time.

I don't think anyone really reads random books upon recommendations but I strongly STRONGLY recommend everyone to read this. 

Anyone else read it?  What did you think?  I don't know what to read after this, I don't think any other book can match it.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: 1984
I haven't read it yet. I plan to, though.
That's among my favorite classic books. So is Catch-22, which might also apply here. Just remember that fiction often reflects reality. That's especially the case with 1984, which was aimed at the progression of culture at the time it was written. There's a reason it's so familiar.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
It's next on my list.
Everyone needs to read 1984...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 18, 2016 at 8:10 am)Alex K Wrote: Everyone needs to read 1984...

I was planning to a while back but never got around to it.
Us kids these days don't read anymore, amirite, Bella?
(August 18, 2016 at 8:17 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: Us kids these days don't read anymore, amirite, Bella?

No worries. Wait for a few years and you don't need to read it any more because it'll become reality Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 18, 2016 at 8:26 am)Alex K Wrote:
(August 18, 2016 at 8:17 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: Us kids these days don't read anymore, amirite, Bella?

No worries. Wait for a few years and you don't need to read it any more because it'll become reality Smile

Heh. You realize that people have been saying that since 1984 was written?

Not that I don't believe you. Shit's fucked.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
Probably not for all tastes, but the film version with Richard Burton is one of my top picks.

[Image: nfs_0000_0007_0_img0037]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Orwell's 1984 and Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 combined? Ciel_Rouge 29 10922 November 4, 2012 at 8:45 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen