Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:53 am

Poll: Regarding the theory my dad has about alien and monster movies:
This poll is closed.
Your father is probably correct.
16.67%
3 16.67%
Your father is very likely wrong.
11.11%
2 11.11%
Your father is bat shit crazy. You may want to have him institutionalized for everyone's safety.
72.22%
13 72.22%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thats Embarrassing
Thats Embarrassing
My father told me recently that he knows the reason why there are so many television shows about zombies, ghosts, vampires and aliens.

He says the Devil is preparing all kinds of excuses for the wicked to fall back on when jesus returns and the horrors of heaven and hell are unleashed upon the earth.

That's right, apparently he thinks that when the four horseman bring all the horrible things to us during the tribulation, those of us left will simply think aliens took our grannys and zombie/monster/dragons are going around killing people through, I don't know, maybe some government experiment gone awry.

Yeah, he's a fucking idiot.
Any other sheep buy into this little theory of his???
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: Thats Embarrassing
Suddenly, I feel so lucky to have the parents I have.

To facepalm your own father, must be so frustrating...
I've facepalmed pretty much everything my father has ever said, too. But 'tis easier to facepalm than try to argue with him, the man is just a nutbag.
Quote:That's right, apparently he thinks that when the four horseman bring all the horrible things to us during the tribulation, those of us left will simply think aliens took our grannys and zombie/monster/dragons are going around killing people through, I don't know, maybe some government experiment gone awry.

And so? Even accepting this bizarre idea, I can't see why Satan should warn us against the monsters.
I am sorry, Cinjin. I feel so badly for you that I bolded and italizied "sorry" for you.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I know it's only tangentially connected, but I remember once reading something about the reason there have been so many sci-fi films and TV shows about aliens (ET, Close Encounters, The X-Files and so on) is that The Government is preparing us all for first contact with the real aliens. I facepalmed at the time, before I knew there was a term for it. Now I get the chance to do it all over again. I'm wondering just how widespread this sort of thing actually is.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Compared to yahweh the bloody handed satan seems fairly cool.

I'm guessing it wasn't him who filled Jerusalem with zombies when jesus was supposedly killed.
I think the bloke in this picture may have a small inkling of the humiliation I feel regarding my old man's retarded ideas. (Especially if the guy with the drumstick in his hand is actually his own father.)

Blush

[Image: Jewish%20council%20leaders%20humiliated%...ermans.jpg]
[Image: Evolution.png]

Well, you know what they say - you can't choose your relatives. However, you can rip the piss out of them on the internet. Tongue
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
He does make a few good points, I have my own thread on stuff like that (let me know if you want a link) But historically, our movies tend to get dark when our ecomnoy goes south. Just look at the differences between Spiderman (pre 9-11) and the Amazing spiderman. the 2000 spiderman was almost cartoonish, while A/S is a much darker take on the same character. (you do know what is going to happen to Gwynn right?) The Dark knight is another example (pre realistate bubble burst,) The good guy has his twists and turns but you know he will take out the bad guys with little to no real trouble. This last movie kept getting worse and worse. They let it leak that Batman is going to die and you are waiting for it, or you are waiting for some sort of rally in all of the doom and gloom, but what happens instead is that it keeps getting worse and worse for the people of Gotham. till the end, and it is only by the skin of their teeth. that they make it out ata great cost. And These are our Hero movies. The ones where we are supposed to know the outcome, and are reassured that everything is going to be ok in the end. Our movies get darker when our lives get harder because we like to see misery abound. We feel better when we know we are not the only ones suffering, or better yet when someone is suffering more than we are. (Hence vampires and Zombies)