Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet more religious based nuttery
Yet more religious based nuttery
Read it and weep boys and girls. Angry

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/11/...75467.html

How much more of this can we put up with? Cultures with all sorts of stupid laws and customs, with often dire consequences for their women and children - all derived from un-evidenced belief in fairies and what they supposedly said.

It has to stop. Religion needs to be CRUSHED.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

RE: Yet more religious based nuttery
You know Thinking I am wondering IF religion is the answer to the depletion of hominids on this planet to counteract climate change??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
One thing is for sure, at some point we're going to have to lose a few billion people.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

When religion permits one to override the natural human empathy, what does that tell us about its morals?
The only shining light in this is that it has at least been recognised as a crime, by the authorities and public alike.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
LostPoet Wrote:When religion permits one to override the natural human empathy, what does that tell us about its morals?

So, what happens when someone that has no empathy gets ahold of religion?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I don't think there'd be a way to tell the difference.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
When I said "gets ahold of religion" I meant "becomes a preist."
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I know. Smile
The problem is of course that unless I read the article wrong (and I may have done so as reading Huffington gives me nosebleeds and dizzy spells) there is no claim that there was a religious motivation here.

I won't defend (presumably) Islam but I think that here the problem is more tribal stone-aged idiots and stupid outmoded local social norms which may exist with or without religion.

This is every bit as hateful a thing as religious atrocity and indeed cultural and religious horrors tend to feed other.

The answer here though is not to crush religion (in this case) but to globally suppress cultural abnormality and to force errant societies and enclaves up to more universally acceptable standards of behaviour - simple things like not allowing any justification for maiming then allowing your daughter to die through denial of medical treatment just because they did something that annoyed you and you feel entitled because in cultural terms you actually own their corpus.

Also I don't believe we are going to have to lose a few billion people - I think we are going to have to get our fingers out and colonize other planets so that humanity can spread across the galaxy like a plague - although hopefully with a unified standard of social behaviour..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Based on this... BrianSoddingBoru4 6 869 July 22, 2015 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Occasionally you stumble across something funny yet poignant. Jackalope 1 1052 December 7, 2014 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  More religious fuckwittery Norfolk And Chance 9 1919 September 19, 2012 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  The best AXE advert yet Epimethean 5 1267 November 22, 2011 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Have you got your T-Shirt yet? Darwinian 1 1449 January 13, 2009 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc