Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oklahoma Sentences Teen to Attend Church
Oklahoma Sentences Teen to Attend Church
Wow... I really hope he appeals, this is a clear violation of his 1st Amendment rights. But as his attorney says he already attends church, I doubt he'll appeal the ruling... Sad.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/18...46619.html
RE: Oklahoma Sentences Teen to Attend Church
I think he should just count his blessings that he's not going to prison.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 19, 2012 at 9:37 am)Faith No More Wrote: I think he should just count his blessings that he's not going to prison.

I dunno. If I had to choose between prison or church, it might be tough for me to decide.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
That would violate the constitutional amendment of seperation of religion and state .............................................. where I live. =P
(November 19, 2012 at 9:37 am)Faith No More Wrote: I think he should just count his blessings that he's not going to prison.

Just to note, his blood alcohol level wasn't over the legal limit. But he did have alcohol in his system. Because he is a minor and should not be drinking at all is how this came about.

(November 19, 2012 at 10:33 am)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: That would violate the constitutional amendment of seperation of religion and state .............................................. where I live. =P

Here too. I guess this judge in Oklahoma didn't get the memo...
festive1 Wrote:Just to note, his blood alcohol level wasn't over the legal limit. But he did have alcohol in his system. Because he is a minor and should not be drinking at all is how this came about.

Which is still illegal and was enough to get manslaughter charges to stick. I don't like the judge using church as a punishment, but that does not change the fact that the kid should be grateful for not being incarcerated.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 19, 2012 at 10:42 am)Faith No More Wrote:
festive1 Wrote:Just to note, his blood alcohol level wasn't over the legal limit. But he did have alcohol in his system. Because he is a minor and should not be drinking at all is how this came about.

Which is still illegal and was enough to get manslaughter charges to stick. I don't like the judge using church as a punishment, but that does not change the fact that the kid should be grateful for not being incarcerated.

True, but if he were just 4 years older, it probably wouldn't have resulted in him being charged at all... In my opinion, that's just weird.
(November 19, 2012 at 10:32 am)TaraJo Wrote: I dunno. If I had to choose between prison or church, it might be tough for me to decide.

For you, yes, but this kid already goes to church every Sunday. The only way that will turn into a punishment is if he decides that he doesn't want to go anymore.
Quote:"My client goes to church every Sunday," defense attorney Donn Baker told the court.

And, as usual, it didn't do much good.
(November 19, 2012 at 11:46 am)Faith No More Wrote:
(November 19, 2012 at 10:32 am)TaraJo Wrote: I dunno. If I had to choose between prison or church, it might be tough for me to decide.

For you, yes, but this kid already goes to church every Sunday. The only way that will turn into a punishment is if he decides that he doesn't want to go anymore.

Well its consistent with christianity, God sentenced the serpent to crawl on its belly, not stride around on its no-legs like before.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Notes from Oklahoma Brian37 3 739 November 10, 2016 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Apparently Oklahoma Loves Being Sued Minimalist 14 2091 May 22, 2016 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  This Must Be Shit On Oklahoma Day. Minimalist 1 501 May 20, 2016 at 12:43 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Fuck You, Oklahoma Minimalist 4 1614 May 21, 2014 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Losty
  The Supreme CourtTells Oklahoma to Fuck Off Minimalist 41 7412 November 15, 2013 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Hungarian court sentences racist murderers to life in prison and 13 years Something completely different 52 15516 August 6, 2013 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  Disabled Gay teen burned alive at a BDAY party, perp gets 3years? Mystical 54 12323 March 27, 2013 at 9:37 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Oklahoma law maker breaks the first amendment...... with spelling errors! TaraJo 16 18066 November 17, 2012 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Oklahoma's "Every Sperm is Sacred" bill. Ziploc Surprise 10 3704 March 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Oklahoma Personhood Act. passionatefool 3 1547 February 28, 2012 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger