Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 4:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon fired
Canon fired
Ok, misleading title but I simply couldn't resist. Ronald Johns is actually the ex-canon of Carlisle Cathedral in Cumbria and he's just been jailed for four years for child molestation offences going back some thirty years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-20391434

Naturally, once the Church officials found out about this turbulent priest, they lost no time in alerting the police.

No, of course not. His bishop moved him to another parish. How far away? About half an hour down the road:

Quote:The court was told Johns was demoted by his bishop instead of police being informed of the allegations made by his first victim.

The victim had made an official complaint to the church in 1993. By that time Johns was a canon at Carlisle Cathedral.

Johns made admissions to the then bishop, the late Right Rev Ian Harland, who felt the appropriate sanction was to move him to a church in Caldbeck.

The matter only came to the attention of police this year when another victim complained he had been abused by Johns.

So how has the Diocese of Carlisle responded to this? They've issued this notice in which they "apologise unreservedly to his victims that we failed to take the action that we should have taken to prevent children and young people being harmed. We also apologise to the parishioners at Caldbeck and recognise the profound and damaging impact on all those affected" and state that "even though at that time the complainants did not wish to pursue the matter with the Police, it was absolutely wrong that Mr Johns should have been offered another post". Quite how they square this with "We will not tolerate abuse and work closely with the Police and Social Care if such issues come to our attention" they don't say, but to their credit, they have set up a special NSPCC freephone number to offer such advice as can be trusted from a corrupt organisation that has demonstrated repeatedly just how trustworthy it is.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
RE: Canon fired
Nikon triumphs.

Sorry, photographer joke. I'll exist stage left now. Big Grin
14 to 17 year old boys.. Child abuse, but still closeted homosexual teens. I don't know about you guys but I doubt any boy at that age doesn't know if he is gay or straight and being poked is not something that just happens.. You can blame religion, but at those ages you know what sex is and if you are gay or not.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
I don't blame religion for this stuff, I blame a cloistered heirarchical organisation known for closing ranks, keeping silent and quietly shuffling offenders to other parishes and fresh victims.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Has anyone mentioned the sentence yet? If not, I will:

4 years?!? Are you fucking kidding me?
You're right John, it's not the fault of religion, it's the fault of the dumbass who sticks his dick in an unlawful place. His religion only becomes complicit in his crime when they shuffle him...which they did - and which appears to be a standard operating procedure for said religion.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Archdeacon of West Cumberland Richard Pratt:
"The Church has failed and let people down."

Well, isn't that the biggest understatement of the millennia?

(November 19, 2012 at 3:56 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: Archdeacon of West Cumberland Richard Pratt:
"The Church has failed and let people down."

Well, isn't that the biggest understatement of the millennia?

I'd expect nothing less from a Dick Pratt.
(November 19, 2012 at 1:46 pm)Stimbo Wrote:
Quote:The court was told Johns was demoted by his bishop instead of police being informed of the allegations made by his first victim.

The victim had made an official complaint to the church in 1993. By that time Johns was a canon at Carlisle Cathedral.

Johns made admissions to the then bishop, the late Right Rev Ian Harland, who felt the appropriate sanction was to move him to a church in Caldbeck.

The matter only came to the attention of police this year when another victim complained he had been abused by Johns.
[Image: t2529.gif]
"Jesus is like an unpaid babysitter "
R. Gervais