Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is it about the internet and cats?
What is it about the internet and cats?
Seriously, it seems like there's some internet obsession with cats! It seems like half the time when the internet creates a new running gag (aka meme), it involves cats! Look at the examples:

We started with 4chan's caturday/lol cats:
[Image: caturday.jpg]

Which gave rise to specific lolcats, most well known being longcat:
[Image: Longcat.jpg]

Then we started getting things like keyboard cat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4W9SjymrxI

Not to mention ZOMG cat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MebVRdF6ODs

And Chemistry Cat:
[Image: a98010_Science-cat-Chemistry-Jokes.jpg]

Even a crazy cat lady was able to get her video to go viral:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTwcCVajAc

And it's still going! The most recent cat-meme seems to be grumpy cat:
[Image: b65601-grumpy-cat.jpg]

What gives? Why is the internet so obsessed with cats?
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: What is it about the internet and cats?
Ray approaching in 3.. 2.. 1.. Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

[Image: XrXw9.jpg]
This is what happens if you do too much LOLcats

[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
[Image: 29073988.jpg]
[Image: awesome-internet-photos-cat-read-relevant-funny.jpg]

[Image: funny-pictures-kitten-asks-why-you-are-hiding.jpg]

Cats lie at the intersection of arrogance and aloofness, and the absurd and self-parody. As such, they make ideal jesters, reflecting the human condition in its most intimate.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
That, or 4chan.. '-_-
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Rayaan, do you happen to have a cat?
(December 5, 2012 at 11:36 pm)TaraJo Wrote: What gives? Why is the internet so obsessed with cats?

I like these cat memes especially because of the variety of funny gestures and expressions they make, along with the weird spellingz and graammerz.

I'm not actually obsessed with it, by the way. Tongue

Germans, no. I don't have a cat. I don't really want one either. I do like cats, however. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I knew there was a reason why I'm a sucker for cats ignoramus 8 424 July 3, 2020 at 5:35 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stewart Lee - Internet Comments Edwardo Piet 0 600 October 5, 2015 at 1:04 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why Cats Are Not Republicans Minimalist 5 1463 August 18, 2015 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Paintings made better with cats Fidel_Castronaut 4 1720 May 27, 2014 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  One of our cats would starve in the wild... DeistPaladin 6 1995 November 15, 2013 at 6:14 am
Last Post: pocaracas