Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Messier 33, The Pinwheel Galaxy, in Triangulum
Messier 33, The Pinwheel Galaxy, in Triangulum
[Image: M33_rgb_softcolorgradient_removal.jpg]

This is a remix of stack of images totallng an hour that I took on 11/05/2011, at The Louisville Astronomical Society James Baker Observatory, in Curby, Indiana.

Messier 33, the Triangulum galaxy, is the second closest spiral galaxy to our own (Andromeda being the closest), and a member of our local group of galaxies. It is approximately 3 million light years away, and about 50,000 light years across, making it about half the size of our own Milky Way. It is one of the most distance objects that can be viewed with the naked eye (in very dark skies, if one squints long enough at it before attaining a head ache). Red ionized hydrogen regions of nebulosity are apparent in some of the dust lanes, particularly near the bottom left of the galaxy. Also apparent are numerous bright blue star clusters, which make this wonder to behold.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Messier 33, The Pinwheel Galaxy, in Triangulum
Hey orogenicman! How've ya been? Big Grin
RE: Messier 33, The Pinwheel Galaxy, in Triangulum
Been sick off and on for the past three months, but it has given me time to hone my photo processing skills a bit.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  13.2 Billion Year Old Galaxy Minimalist 27 5217 September 11, 2015 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Messier 45, in Taurus orogenicman 7 1326 March 31, 2015 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Honey, I Blew up the Galaxy AFTT47 0 694 March 16, 2015 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Messier 20, the Trifid Nebula orogenicman 4 1284 February 15, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Messier 33, The Triangulum Galaxy orogenicman 0 716 April 26, 2014 at 11:08 pm
  Oldest Galaxy Yet..... Minimalist 5 1593 October 24, 2013 at 10:55 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Messier 33, in Triangulum orogenicman 8 2727 September 25, 2013 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  MOND predicts dwarf galaxy feature prior to observations little_monkey 7 2496 September 1, 2013 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Messier 20, The Trifid Nebula, In Sagittarius orogenicman 6 2671 June 7, 2013 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  Messier 3, Globular Cluster in Canes Venatici orogenicman 12 3605 April 17, 2013 at 1:14 am