Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holiday stars
Holiday stars

I took this image this evening of the Orion Constellation in the background with the observatory's neighbor's farm and his big star in the foreground. By the way, Tiberius, I used the imgfit tag on this. Not sure it worked.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Holiday stars
Perhaps not as beautiful as your other work, but this made me laugh Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

RE: Holiday stars
Yeah, it's only a 32 second exposure, so there is a lot of noise, not to mention the light pollution (which was actually worse in the original image, but I filtered some of it out). By the way, that silo the star is sitting on is over 30 feet high, just to give you some scale.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Now we know when the first stars in the universe switched on Foxaèr 1 408 June 28, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells. Jehanne 39 6308 May 24, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  [PHD comics] The Fingerprint of Stars pocaracas 0 849 December 12, 2012 at 5:52 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Sometimes its nice to just look at stars, lots of them. orogenicman 29 8596 December 11, 2012 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Seeing stars thesummerqueen 14 2162 October 4, 2011 at 9:42 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko