Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells.
Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells.
The number of stars in the Universe is equal to or slightly greater than the number of cells in all the humans who have ever lived:

There are 37.2 trillion cells in your body:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-new...y-4941473/

The number of human beings who have ever lived is 108 billion:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/fire-i...uXIG2Eh2Uk

Finally, there are 10^24 stars (a number that has been increasing over the years) in the Universe:

https://www.space.com/26078-how-many-sta...there.html
RE: Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells.
The universe?

We have no ideal how big the universe is. So there is no basis to estimate how many stars there are in it. It could well be infinite.

We may estimate how many stars are in the observable part of the universe. But that number is constantly being decreased as accelerting expansion of the universe continues to push galaxies and stars near the edge of our observable universe outside of our observation horizon.

Furthermore, it is thought that the rate of new star formation in the visible universe peaked 7 billion years ago, long before the sun formed. The rate of new star formation now is only a fraction of the peak, as most of available gas and dust needed for star formation is already used up. So new star formation within our visible horizon can’t keep pace with stars lost to the observable universe due to cosmic expansion. I don’t know the precise figure, but I would not be surprised if the visible universe is already losing stars much faster than it is making new ones.
RE: Total stars in Universe is rougly equal to the total number (ever) of human cells.
Excellent points.  The term "universe" (such as observable, non-observable that is spatially connected, non-observable, non-spatially connected, etc.) mean different things to different physicists and astronomers.

In any case, the observable Universe is really big, and the number of planets is even bigger, and yet, some dude in 1st century Palestine was the creator of all of this???
I have no idea how many stars are in the observable universe, but I'm pretty sure it's more than 50.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 29, 2018 at 10:34 am)Jehanne Wrote: Excellent points.  The term "universe" (such as observable, non-observable that is spatially connected, non-observable, non-spatially connected, etc.) mean different things to different physicists and astronomers.

In any case, the observable Universe is really big, and the number of planets is even bigger, and yet, some dude in 1st century Palestine was the creator of all of this???

I think the sound argument is no creator is needed or evidenced, rather than no creator could be equal to the task attributed to it.

The latter argues from incredulity in the same manner creationists rage that no process other than that of a conscious creator could be equal to the task.
If intelligent life can be established on just one other World, then it likely exists on trillions of others. How many "revealed religions" could there be across space and time?
(April 29, 2018 at 12:25 pm)Jehanne Wrote: If intelligent life can be established on just one other World, then it likely exists on trillions of others.  How many "revealed religions" could there be across space and time?

I think I will not insult alien intelligences i’ve never met with accussasion as vile as to insinuate they could have perpetrated their own version of jesusism or muhammudism.
(April 29, 2018 at 12:34 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(April 29, 2018 at 12:25 pm)Jehanne Wrote: If intelligent life can be established on just one other World, then it likely exists on trillions of others.  How many "revealed religions" could there be across space and time?

I think I will not insult alien intelligences i’ve never met with accussasion as vile as to insinuate they could have perpetrated their own version of jesusism or muhammudism.

Unless they're from Teegeeack . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(April 29, 2018 at 12:34 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:

To think that our species could be an outlier to the vast majority who have no religion?
(April 29, 2018 at 5:37 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(April 29, 2018 at 12:34 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: I think I will not insult alien intelligences i’ve never met with accussasion as vile as to insinuate they could have perpetrated their own version of jesusism or muhammudism.

To think that our species could be an outlier to the vast majority who have no religion?

To say we are an outlier implies we nonetheless still rightfully belong in the same set.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible that the universe could be eternal??... dave4shmups 145 16347 August 9, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  The Universe Is Not Locally Real Foxaèr 52 5090 December 31, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Infinite Universe? JairCrawford 13 1157 May 4, 2022 at 5:17 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Now we know when the first stars in the universe switched on Foxaèr 1 402 June 28, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Another universe existed before ours Foxaèr 27 2455 November 29, 2020 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Watching a show "How The Universe Works" Brian37 13 1851 July 24, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  An infinite, beginningless and eternal Universe is taken seriously by scientists. Jehanne 20 3897 March 18, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What Does Gravity Have To Do WithThe Expanding Universe? Rhondazvous 42 5938 February 26, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  If the Universe Collapses Because of a False Vacuum, Won't There Just be Another Big Rhondazvous 11 2474 November 8, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  LHC rainbow universe dyresand 9 1897 October 22, 2017 at 9:32 am
Last Post: vorlon13