Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

This thread may contain spoilers. Please use [ hide ] or [ spoiler ] tags to, well, hide spoilers.

First a little background: I'm a huge fan of Tolkien, I first read "The Hobbit" years ago when I was 9 or 10, and "Lord of the Rings" several years later, and have re-read both many times. I enjoyed Jackson's film adaptation of LotR immensely, despite some significant story and character departures from the novel, as well as some omissions (The Old Forest / House of Tom Bombadil / Fog on the Barrow Downs, Scouring of the Shire, amongst others). Some material had to be redacted, and changes to the story line were necessary to accommodate.

I don't necessarily expect a film adaptation of a beloved novel to be completely faithful - and I generally view films with that in mind. Directors are going to wish to leave their own creative mark on film adaptations, and I view their work with that in mind.

With that in mind...

I've now seen the film twice, the first in 2D, the second time in HFR 3D (48fps). Having seen both versions, I wish they had released a 2D HFR version - I generally find stereoscopic 3D to be a distraction and somewhat "gimmicky". This film was no exception. The HFR aspect was interesting - after a lifetime of viewing films at 24 frames per second along with the blur in action scenes, the crisp and fluid motion at 48 fps took a little getting used to but I grew to appreciate it shortly into the film. I look forward to seeing what the format will bring us in the future. (I'll note that it took some getting used to the added resolution of HDTV.)

"An Unexpected Journey", first of 3 films, covers chapters "An Unexpected Party" through "Out of the Frying-Pan Into the Fire", along with new material to weave the story of the Necromancer in Dol Guldur and an introduction that told the story of Thrain's kingdom at Erebor and it's fall. In addition, some material was added to tie the story to the LotR timeline, which I think was a good call for viewers who haven't read the books.

If I was to say that the film was a faithful adaptation of the book, I would be lying - though much of what was changed or added was fairly well done.

All in all, I enjoyed the film and look forward to the next two installments.

The remainder of this post contains spoilers.

RE: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Hobbit is the first "real book" I can remember reading. I can't bear to see the movie...I couldn't even bring myself to open your spoilers.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Kichi got me "The Hobbit" in hardcover for Xmas.

I've just started reading it again for the first time in some years.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I was going to see it next week but then I found out my local IMAX theater isn't showing the high frame rate version. The HFR version was the only reason I was going to see it. Now I don't know if I will.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
I said it in the disappointing movie thread, to me it felt that once they got out of the shire, it was just two straight hours of running from one disaster to the next (with one brief break) it felt off to me.

Also, Gandalf keeps arriving and saving the day, every single time. We're watching 'the hobbit' not 'Gandalf the magnificent.' It's been many years since I read the books but I don't remember it being like that, I'm fairly sure they got themselves out of most predicaments in the book.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
The first hour was fine.

The rest was garbage.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
It's been so long since I read the book that I wouldn't even know if it was a faithful adaptation. That being said, I did want to see it for the high frame rate, but I didn't realize that only certain showings have it. If the local showing doesn't have the high frame rate, I probably won't see it in the theater.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
If you strip away the glacial pacing, pointless plot "points", recycled "LOTR" music scores, and blantant effort to hang on to LOTR coattail, you don't have much left.
Dodgy

meh

I'll wait until it's out on DVD tnxby Tongue
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I saw the Hobbit today in IMAX 3D at the normal 24 fps. I didn't have trouble wearing the glasses and it appeared in focus and in 3D for me but 30 minutes into it I started getting a headache and nausea. For most of the movie I was miserable. Got worse after the movie and I've been in bed all day.

It felt like my eyes were pulled out and stuck in one of those old Viewmaster toys for 3 hours.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star A Journey to Planet Sanity 2013 Fake Messiah 2 673 July 31, 2016 at 8:00 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  The Hobbit thesummerqueen 64 6005 December 22, 2014 at 10:59 am
Last Post: JuliaL