Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kumbh Mela; biggest human gathering in the world
Kumbh Mela; biggest human gathering in the world
An estimated 110 million people will take a bath in the next 50 days or so, not that it's very hygienic. Enjoy some pictures of this hindu psychosis.

[Image: 1401webapp14-980x735.jpg]

[Image: 1401webapp11-980x735.jpg]

[Image: 1401webapp8-980x735.jpg]

[Image: 1401webapp4-980x735.jpg]

Fun fact from wikipedia:

Quote:The Ganges suffers from extreme pollution levels, which affect the 400 million people who live close to the river.[92][93] Sewage from many cities along the river's course, industrial waste and religious offerings wrapped in non-degradable plastics add large amounts of pollutants to the river as it flows through densely populated areas.[13][94] The problem is exacerbated by the fact that many poorer people rely on the river on a daily basis for bathing, washing, and cooking.[94] The World Bank estimates that the health costs of water pollution in India equal three per cent of India's GDP.[95] It has also been suggested that eighty per cent of all illnesses in India and one-third of deaths can be attributed to water-borne diseases.
RE: Kumbh Mela; biggest human gathering in the world
I have to say that Hinduism has some of the strangest religious beliefs and practices of any of the major religions. Also the amount of widely acceptable quackery and fraud is pretty disgusting. Oh and the sexism, and the caste system and the rampant homophobia. Why doesn't Hinduism get more flak from Atheists? Is it because it is so far removed from our lives? It's pretty fucking bad.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
A good question. Maybe its because we don't get a lot of them coming here telling us how fucking wonderful they are?
Hindu are not very common here either, I quess there are many more Hindu in the U.K.
I must admit I know almost nothing about their beliefs and rituals... Oh, I saw Slumdog Millionair, does that count?

I need to read about these folks, they are fascinating.
Really is a fascinating culture DeeDee. Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World’s largest single gathering of humanity... yragnitup 10 1310 January 18, 2019 at 12:58 am
Last Post: yragnitup