Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High frame rates
High frame rates
This site has a lot of comparisons between 24 fps video and higher frame rates like 48 fps and 60 fps:

http://www.hfrmovies.com/high-frame-rate...le-videos/

This comparison was particularly good:

http://red.cachefly.net/learn/action-24fps.mp4

http://red.cachefly.net/learn/action-60fps.mp4

It seems that a lot more major movies in the near future will be using these higher frame rates. There's even one that will be done at 120 fps.

What do you think?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: High frame rates
A long time ago, I had a crappy Pentium 2 CPU. Running winamp with visualizations would, depending on the quality settings, decrease or increase the frame rate.
I noticed that above 12 FPS, I'd consider movement as fluid.
This matches well with the standard 24 FPS, which would account for any temporal aliasing by my eyes and, of course, Nyquist.
Anything above 24FPS, for me, is just overkill... on calm and fluidly changing imagery.
For action shots, where the film can make you engage with the action, your attention spikes and you can discern the difference between 24fps and 60fps.... 120fps would only be justified for the 3D industry, to keep each eye at 60fps.
It could be interesting to have a video format with variable frame rate, much like we have mp3 with variable bit rate. Slow scenes don't require more than 24fps, action scenes benefit from added fps.

As for the article you linked, it says the guy created the high frame rate videos by interpolation. I'd prefer if he captured videos at 120FPS and then downsampled those to whatever FPS he wanted to show. As it is, it looks a bit false...
The panning shot at 60fps looks HD, while the 24fps version looks SD.... it makes no sense...
RE: High frame rates
Many theatres already have the shutters going at 96-120hz as it is, most are at least 72hz. It's been wasted not begin filming in 60fps or so since the refresh rate simply indicates duplicated frames instead. Ask anyone how much more fluid a game looks in 60hz rather than 30hz or less. 3D projectors need to double the hz as it is anyway (one for left, one for right). 2x 72hz = 144 hz. That will give you a dull image though, you need 240Hz or higher (480hz etc) for a bright image in 3D as it is. So a movie shot at 60-120 fps should be no problem for most modern projection equipment.

Oh and I hate the fact that Bluray doesn't allow 1080 @ 25p, even though it's a perfectly standard 1080p format, one of the many things I hate about the bluray format.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low Budget High Availability Network popeyespappy 0 320 August 29, 2019 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy