Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antibiotic 'apocalypse' warning
Antibiotic 'apocalypse' warning
Quote:The rise in drug resistant infections is comparable to the threat of global warming, according to the chief medical officer for England.

Prof Dame Sally Davies said bacteria were becoming resistant to current drugs and there were few antibiotics to replace them.

She told a committee of MPs that going for a routine operation could become deadly due to the threat of infection.

Experts said it was a global problem and needed much more attention.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21178718
This is worrying.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Antibiotic 'apocalypse' warning
You mean...................They're EVOLVING?

What will the jesus freaks do?
(January 24, 2013 at 6:45 pm)Minimalist Wrote: What will the jesus freaks do?

Claim that we lost god protection or some BS.
Natural selection begins.... people with weak immune systems fall behind... oh, the horror!
But wait, this means pharmaceutical companies want more funding to develop more medication against this invisible threat. If video games have taught me one thing, it's that big pharma is never concerned with the well being of the people...
(January 24, 2013 at 6:46 pm)Insanity x Wrote:
(January 24, 2013 at 6:45 pm)Minimalist Wrote: What will the jesus freaks do?

Claim that we lost god protection or some BS.

Yeah....like the fucker did such a good job during the Black Death.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phage_therapy
Our immune system is in a constant war with bacteria, viruses and other pathogens. Survival of the fittest has gone back and forth, with our immune system fighting them off and them evolving ways to get around our immune system. Then our immune system evolves to find a way around their defenses and the cycle continues, constantly.

The big change over the past 200 or so years is that instead of our biology changing, our technology has been what's changing. We aren't relying on our bodies to naturally product ways to fight off bacteria or viruses; we're developing antibiotics and vaccines. The problem is, if the bacteria is following the next logical step and evolving to get around those, our technology is going to also have to take the next step towards getting around the bacteria defenses.

All in all, the best advise for everyone is to wash your hands a lot and keep your environment clean.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(January 25, 2013 at 11:19 pm)TaraJo Wrote: if the bacteria is following the next logical step and evolving to get around those, our technology is going to also have to take the next step towards getting around the bacteria defenses.

Funny you should mention that. Synthetic Corkscrew Peptide Kills Antibiotic-Resistant Gram-Negative Bacteria
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
One of the worst things is the overuse of antibiotics by farmers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/s...griculture

and people not taking a full course just stopping when they feel better, getting antibiotics for viruses pointlessly, people hoarding antibiotics and using them when they are out of date or stored incorrectly.

Stupid people are ruining the wonder drugs for the rest of us.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(January 26, 2013 at 1:36 am)popeyespappy Wrote:
(January 25, 2013 at 11:19 pm)TaraJo Wrote: if the bacteria is following the next logical step and evolving to get around those, our technology is going to also have to take the next step towards getting around the bacteria defenses.

Funny you should mention that. Synthetic Corkscrew Peptide Kills Antibiotic-Resistant Gram-Negative Bacteria

Yep. If this becomes a practical treatment, the next step is that the bacteria will evolve a way to resist the synthetic corckscrew peptide. When that happens, we'll have to develop new technologies to get past their new defenses. It's a continuing cycle.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dire Warning to Humanity chimp3 9 1700 November 15, 2017 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Fireball