Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lurker evolving into a posting member
Lurker evolving into a posting member
I found this forum during the summer because I was frustrated over the fact that any discussion concerning religious belief, on pretty much any forum, quickly becomes ugly. People start insulting each other or ranting uncontrollably and the thread is locked or the thread is locked after just a few posts because of bad experiences concerning the nature of past threads.

I've been checking out this forum for about a month and a half, and I must say that I am positively surprised to notice that name-calling is not frequent despite differing views.

I've never believed in deities, which is due to my parents not indoctrinating me with religious views and I thank them for that. My family has never been big on religion, it's never really come up even with my grandparents. I've noticed that a lot of people might not have religious parents, but they often have religious grandparents. I am a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church Of Finland, but only on paper. I went through confirmation despite the fact that I do not believe in god(s). For me and most of my friends it was a rite of passage, which has religious origins but the religious values aren't important anymore. Instead it's all just a ritual with no other implications other than being a sign of reaching a certain age.

Turning 18, which I did during the summer, comes with some big pros like being able to end ones affiliation with a religious group without the need for consent from anyone. Not that my parents objected to it because I wouldn't be a Christian anymore, but because of the concern that difficulties would arise if/when I want to get married in the future and my future wife wanted a traditional church wedding.

Between the ages of 13 and 15 was when I really discovered the effects organized religion had had on civilizations throughout time and has even to this day. And I was horrified by how people would stop progress solely on ideas that were and are still simply ludicrous and without evidence backing them up. After turning 17 I started looking for people who felt the same way and I am happy to say that I found them. I watched debates on YouTube and Google Video as well as the excellent stand-up comedy provided by people like George Carlin (RIP). I started reading "The God Delusion", which is no doubt familiar to most here on this forum. Then I went on to read "God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything", "Letter To A Christian Nation" and I've started reading "Breaking The Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon". Familiarizing myself with this material has introduced me to arguments from both sides. And I must say the arguments laid out by theist's are not convincing, though they may be to theists.

Summa summarum I am a cultural Christian who was allowed to use logic and reason to come to up with my own worldview and not have one shoved down my throat. I hope to have interesting debates here and I wish the best to all of you.
"Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought." - Graham Greene
"So forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here today." - Lawrence Krauss
RE: Lurker evolving into a posting member
Welcome mrjack! We only tend to lock threads if they go on for pages and pages of people just repeating themselves. More often than not we split the thread if it goes off topic, so people can continue both conversations.
Hi Jack and welcome to the forum.

I'm glad you found us and hope that you become a regular contributor. On a side note, my daughter is in love with Finland, so much so that we decided to learn Finnish and pay you a visit Wink

Got past the first page and gave up. Finnish is the hardest language to learn I've ever tried Dodgy

Welcome again.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Hi Jack,

Apologies for my contribution to the conflict, I tend to be a little ... er ... intolerant of stupidity, irritable and easy to wind up (not a good combination).

Welcome to the forum Smile

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Thanks everybody.

Darwinian, if you have any questions concerning Finnish language just send me a PM, I'll be happy to help if I can. I can see how it can be difficult to learn Finnish. I've attended Swedish schools all my life, as I am a member of the Swedish speaking minority, and I've seen the trouble my friends have with learning Finnish and it must be even worse when you come from a language that doesn't include all the vowels that are used in the Finnish language. Everybody in my family speaks Swedish, Finnish and, to a varying degree, English. So I've been very lucky when it comes to languages. Learning words isn't going to be the biggest issue (though it is quite big when your mother tongue is from a completely different family of languages), it's the grammar that's going to cause quite a bit of headache when you try to wrap your head around it (especially when conjugating verbs in Finnish). It's like with learning Japanese and you try to get familiar with for example the sentence structure.

Sorry if I'm rambling. Wink
"Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought." - Graham Greene
"So forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here today." - Lawrence Krauss
Thanks Smile
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Welcome to the forums!Smile
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.
Welcome MrJack

I had an online friend who moved to Finland after meeting a fellow F1 fan and marrying her. He had to learn Finnish compulsorily before he could get a job, I guess you know al about that .. I thought it sounded a great idea!

Apologies for my part in pointless conflict. What can I say - it's in my nature to wind ppl up sometimes. I think we usually contain it here. I agree about the extreme behaviour on similar sites - I sorta expected it here when I started and took a practiced defensive stance.

We can disagree and still respect each other. I regard some as friends too. I definately enjoy being part of this group and value it. Which I think is credit to this group.
Welcome Jack - welcome to the forums Smile

Hope to have some good discussions with you, enjoy your stay here Smile

EvD
Hey MrJack, welcome! Big Grin
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new member asswriter 8 231 April 12, 2024 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Member Photos Tiberius 20280 4448567 April 11, 2024 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  New member MistMuse 7 277 April 2, 2024 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New member Jillybean 19 597 March 4, 2024 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member titanif 8 872 October 10, 2023 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  [Serious] Hi. Previous member here. I'm so sorry. Steelfist 2 657 September 21, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member PaulC 13 1370 August 13, 2023 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New member Dansup 9 1195 April 1, 2023 at 3:44 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  long time atheist, new member BloodyHeartland 17 2071 February 6, 2022 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New Member johndoe122931 21 2640 June 2, 2021 at 7:06 am
Last Post: no one