Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baha'i's in Iran
Baha'i's in Iran
The Baha'i Faith is a religion from 19th century Persia. They believe Buddha, Zoroaster, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, Siyyid `Alí Muhammad Shírází (the Báb), and Mírzá Ḥusayn-`Alí Núrí (Bahá'u'lláh) are prophets sent by one God. They believe the Báb is the Qá'im, the spiritual return of John the Baptist and Elijah, and the Ushídar-Máh of Zoroastrianism. Bahá'u'lláh is believed to be the return of Jesus and a sort of messianic figure of various religions. They want some nice things like world peace, education, and multiculturalism but the beliefs get sort of weird.

They're really hated in Iran for believing in prophets after Mohamed. Like really, really hated. They're banned from universities, arrested and interrogated, denied work opportunities, assaulted, harassed and intimidated, imprisoned for being "spies of Zionism", etc. Children have been forced to listen to insults and propaganda against the Baha'i faith from teachers and are pressured to convert to Islam. Over 200 Bahai's have been executed since 1978. The government views them as a political sect when their religion forbids participation in politics.
RE: Baha'i's in Iran

Freethought paper describing the persecution of the Baha'i in Iran and elsewhere in the middle east, including a disturbing statement from the Iranian government on "the Baha'i question."

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Quote: They believe Buddha, Zoroaster, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, Siyyid `Alí Muhammad Shírází (the Báb), and Mírzá Ḥusayn-`Alí Núrí (Bahá'u'lláh) are prophets sent by one God. They believe the Báb is the Qá'im, the spiritual return of John the Baptist and Elijah, and the Ushídar-Máh of Zoroastrianism.

I have to say that I think they sound like just as big a bunch of fools as any other bag of theists.
(February 2, 2013 at 10:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote: They believe Buddha, Zoroaster, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, Siyyid `Alí Muhammad Shírází (the Báb), and Mírzá Ḥusayn-`Alí Núrí (Bahá'u'lláh) are prophets sent by one God. They believe the Báb is the Qá'im, the spiritual return of John the Baptist and Elijah, and the Ushídar-Máh of Zoroastrianism.

I have to say that I think they sound like just as big a bunch of fools as any other bag of theists.

Yeah, some of the beliefs are kind of wacky. No sex before marriage, no drinking, no drugs, pray every day, repeat "Alla'u'abha" 95 times every day (not kidding), and read scripture every morning and evening. It's really horrible what's going on in Iran though.

Islam, Christianity, Judaism, and Zoroastrianism are recognized religions of Iran. The Baha'i religion is the biggest minority religion with 300,000 Baha'is in Iran. Several organizations are monitoring Iran for the possibility of genocide against the Baha'is.

http://agencyandchange.files.wordpress.c...nocide.pdf
http://iranian.com/Opinion/2005/June/Bah...005Eng.pdf
http://news.bahai.org/human-rights/iran/...i-question
I think it would be for the best if all the worlds Muslims, and perhaps Christians as well, converted themselves to the Baha'i Faith. It seems like an improvement to me, and it's still the same kind of thing.
It would be better if humans stopped striving to be elitist/ privileged and using religion (whose god has the biggest dick) to support that elitism / privileged
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I'd rather they all dropped their silly beliefs as opposed to consolidating them.

Put them all together, and they'll stop killing each other long enough to come after us.
I forgot Krishna. He's recognized as a prophet too.
I suppose it avoids the whole "but which one is true?" issue, just say they all are, the jobs done.
(February 5, 2013 at 5:17 pm)Zone Wrote: I think it would be for the best if all the worlds Muslims, and perhaps Christians as well, converted themselves to the Baha'i Faith. It seems like an improvement to me, and it's still the same kind of thing.

Not at all. It takes the same magnitude of stupidity to believe all the bullshit of one religion as it takes to believe in the arbitrary combination of random bits of bullshit form all religions.

I only favor bah'i over Islam because it is preferable to have idiotic herbivores instead of idiotic carnivores because idiotic herbovores are less likely to eat me if I refuse to be idiotic.

But the world won't proceed very far being idiotic, whether herbivorous or carnivorous.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Iran unveils a memorial honoring Jewish heroes Mystic 2 1483 December 20, 2014 at 10:57 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Nontheist Baha'i logicalreason 6 1668 July 10, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: logicalreason
  The Baha'i Predicament Stan 23 5662 September 16, 2013 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: Zone