Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Baha'i Predicament
The Baha'i Predicament
Hello all,

My friend (an atheist) is married to an Indian woman (with a trend to believe that there must be some supernatural cosmic power out there, but with no ties to a religion and an astrology believer). Her parents are Baha'i and as of late they really tend to impose on their relationship in a matriarchical/patriarchical kind of way. Before they got married they really pushed em to get married because they wouldnt allow premarital sex and/or being the two of em alone in a house.

I would like to know what are the Baha'i beliefs in such cases, and some cons for being a Baha'i. Do they have any absurd ideas like the rest of religions do?

If anyone has any link of their holy scripts or some verses with spicy content that'd be lovely too.

Thank you.
RE: The Baha'i Predicament
(July 10, 2013 at 5:50 am)Stan Wrote: Hello all,

My friend (an atheist) is married to an Indian woman (with a trend to believe that there must be some supernatural cosmic power out there, but with no ties to a religion and an astrology believer). Her parents are Baha'i and as of late they really tend to impose on their relationship in a matriarchical/patriarchical kind of way. Before they got married they really pushed em to get married because they wouldnt allow premarital sex and/or being the two of em alone in a house.

I would like to know what are the Baha'i beliefs in such cases, and some cons for being a Baha'i. Do they have any absurd ideas like the rest of religions do?

If anyone has any link of their holy scripts or some verses with spicy content that'd be lovely too.

Thank you.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahá'í_Faith

There you go.
(July 10, 2013 at 5:55 am)genkaus Wrote:
(July 10, 2013 at 5:50 am)Stan Wrote: Hello all,

Thank you.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahá'í_Faith

There you go.

I would like some other source, unless you learnt about christianity or islam through wikipedia.

Where's their doctrine?
Wikipedia is a good place to START learning. Obviously, cross-referencing, etc should be done in cases where extreme detail and accuracy are needed. But you will find out quite a few things about Baha'i there.
(July 10, 2013 at 9:29 am)Psykhronic Wrote: Wikipedia is a good place to START learning. Obviously, cross-referencing, etc should be done in cases where extreme detail and accuracy are needed. But you will find out quite a few things about Baha'i there.

I read the wikipedia but its too vague at core points. And I sincerely think it was written by some kind of theologian to a point.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Baha%27i

What are we, your personal information seekers? This stuff is readily available to everyone on the internet. Do your own searches.
I've often wondered the same thing after learning about the religion from their TV commercials, but I couldn't be too bothered to actually care enough to look them up myself. As long as they're not pushing their beliefs on others I don't care what they are.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
But from what Stan said in the OP they DO push their beliefs on others.

Baha'i is only 150 years old so at least you don't have to go back through wormy old texts like the other 3 piles of crap.
(July 10, 2013 at 9:32 am)Faith No More Wrote: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Baha%27i

What are we, your personal information seekers? This stuff is readily available to everyone on the internet. Do your own searches.

you think i didnt? I can't find the content of their "holy" verses though.

And the reason I ask here is because I want a neutral link, not anything that the "average Joe" uploads.
(July 10, 2013 at 11:44 am)Minimalist Wrote: But from what Stan said in the OP they DO push their beliefs on others.

Well they haven't yet knocked on my door at 8 AM on Saturday morning when I'm trying to sleep in. Nor have they tried to force their religion into politics, that I know of.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nontheist Baha'i logicalreason 6 1668 July 10, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: logicalreason
  Baha'i's in Iran Marnie 12 4719 February 8, 2013 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Zone