Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wanting To Get Inked
Wanting To Get Inked
I've never gotten a tattoo before and I was thinking recently that if I were to get one it would have to do with who I am and what I believe. After some thought, I've come to the conclusion that it would be an owl, because they represent "truth" in Native American culture and the ancient Greeks associated owls with the goddess Athena which represented "wisdom". I think it encapsulates what I strive for quite well and it's a symbol that would always be relevant no matter what my belief in the next 80 years.

My two main problems are these:

1) After doing research on owl photos, drawings & tattoos, I realised they're not the most aesthetically pleasing animal out there. I might have to go back to the drawing board on that one, or maybe you guys have seen a sweet owl drawing here or there?

2) I couldn't care less what other people think of me, but I do care what my future employer would think. I'm studying engineering and I find it hard to imagine that an engineering consultancy would be accepting of someone with ink on them. Do you know of people who have had problems because of their tattoos at their job?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
RE: Wanting To Get Inked
[Image: y1m2iczklz.jpg]

Do what you want, fuck the world. If you don't want them to see the tattoo and you still want it: get it somewhere they won't be seeing it (unless the engineering hiring manager is rather sexy, this wouldn't happen until you were hired usually, and if it did happen before you got hired: that tattoo might be why you're in there).
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(February 5, 2013 at 11:41 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: 1) After doing research on owl photos, drawings & tattoos, I realised they're not the most aesthetically pleasing animal out there. I might have to go back to the drawing board on that one, or maybe you guys have seen a sweet owl drawing here or there?

2) I couldn't care less what other people think of me, but I do care what my future employer would think. I'm studying engineering and I find it hard to imagine that an engineering consultancy would be accepting of someone with ink on them. Do you know of people who have had problems because of their tattoos at their job?

1) Find an artist who does tattoos (i.e. a trained artist who has chosen skin as his/her medium) and who's work you like. Anyone can ink from flash or from a photo. You want something that's uniquely yours, right?

Talk to them about what you are looking for and have them sketch some ideas (you'll likely have to pay for their time or leave a deposit). This is an iterative process, when they have something on paper that's appealing to you, have them do a final drawing. Get inked.

With my second tattoo, I only had a vague idea of what I wanted - it took a few weeks of back and forth collaboration to get the drawing right, and the result was something truly unique and chock full of awesome.

2) I suppose it depends on what kind of engineering, where you're inked, and whether or not your art is in good taste or not. I'm in software engineering (yeah, I realize it's not a real engineering discipline, but that's what the business card says), and have two tattoos on my biceps, one of which is very large. A short sleeved shirt covers both, not that it matters, everyone knows I have them and I occasionally go sleeveless.

Do you care if it shows or not? I don't care if mine are covered most of the time - I got them for me, not for vanity's sake (which I suspect is true in your case as well).

It probably also depends on where you live and what the general attitude towards body art is. Where I live, it seems like everyone is inked, pierced, or otherwise modified. YMMV.

Choose wisely, padawan. Tattoos are forever.

P.S. Yes, they can hurt like hell.

P.P.S. I can imagine an owl being very cool, what with talons, razor-sharp beak, wings and feathers and whatnot.
Check your tattoo artist's portfolio before ink you.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]

It's my impression that tatts, tasteful ones, are a lot more accepted in mainstream society, so I would guess tatts in the workplace aren't as big a deal as they used to be. (And tatts and piercing are big among young people, which is basically whom they're hiring.)

But then, what do I know. I'm a loose woman with no morals. I'm very accepting.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I'm sure you can get a tattoo in a non-visable place and not have it affect your workplace at all.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
I have two tattoos so far. I'm planning on at least three more. One of them is visible depending on the type of top I wear.

Here, on the back of my neck:

[Image: 5681645029_eb0220cc9e_o.jpg]

None of my employers have ever had a problem with it.

Another woman I work with has at least one on the middle of her upper arm. Usually visible. No one cares. I've been working in offices since I was 18 (about 10 years now) and no one I know has had a problem due to a tattoo as long as it was tasteful and fairly discreet OR could be concealed (say a guy had a full sleeve, but wore shirt sleeves 95% of the time in the office).

Also, more and more I'm seeing more and more people on TV in 'important' jobs - like science and engineering - with ink.

This is my other tattoo, which is much more easily hidden. (Cin turned it into my current signature! Big Grin ) I wanted something somewhat vintage. Roses are my "thing" - I seal my personal correspondence with wax and a rose seal. When I got it, at the time, I was living in a house where I had 10 rosebushes. They're not just my favorite flower, they're one of my favorite things ever. I found a design I liked that was NOT at the tattoo shop and my artist tweaked it and changed the colors.

[Image: 5681646959_13498f8bd8_o.jpg]

Take a look at the shops in your area and ask the artists what they do and ask to see their custom work. My artist is actually a paint and sketchy artist outside of work, so she doesn't just follow templates. If I have an idea, she'd be willing to work something up for me. A good artist would do the same for you - not just stick to what's in the shop (which is usually stereotypical).

Ink on your skin should be able to tell a story about who and what you are - don't settle, even if it seems impossible at first. Better to wait and find someone who can do what you want than get something inferior.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I agree with the above posts, research your tattoo artist carefully (I like the ask people who have good tats who did them approach, most people are happy to talk about their tats). The good artists are willing to work out a sketch for you and tweak it however you like. If you like the owl, then go for it! It's about what is important to you, not for anyone else. Remember that you do get what you pay for... and a tattoo is going to be with you forever, so spend the money the first time and have it done well.
I have a few tattoos, I haven't found them to be particularly painful (except the one on my ankle, going over the bone hurt, but not excruciating). I've heard sensitive areas, like the underside of your arm or rib cage can be more painful too, but if you're going for the bicep or your chest, it's not that bad. I recommend getting it somewhere that you can easily cover up in case you need to for a job or wedding or family reunions or whatever. Though they do make really great makeup for covering up tattoos these days.
Yes, just like everyone else here says, absolutely check the tattoo artist out before you go to him. Some will do really great work but others will make you look like you fell asleep while Jigglypuff was singing. But you can undoubtedly get a good owl design. Just doing a google image search for "owl tattoo" gave plenty of ideas in a variety of different designs.

As for employers, this is why I advise people to get tattoos where they can be easily covered. If you have to wear long sleeves to work, you can put it anywhere on your arm. You can put it on your back or your chest. Even the upper arm is generally covered when you're working. I don't think they really care if you have a minor tattoo while you aren't at work.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
The one on my lower back was excruciating to the full definition of the word. I swam in and out of clarity and nearly fainted when I stood up. Two hours under the needle. I spent the next two days limping around the house or laying in bed.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wanting some feedback from the atheists Catholic_Lady 44 4282 November 19, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir