Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 4:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science book suggestions...
Science book suggestions...
I've never been big on reading books, but I was considering going on Amazon and picking up something sciencey. Something along the lines of "A Brief History of Time" by Hawking, or "Death by Black Hole" by Neil DeGrasse Tyson. I'd like to read a book that's quite a bit about physics but doesn't require much understanding in that particular field, perhaps even a book on string theory that explains it in Lehman's terms.

Any recommendations? Are there any must have books like this out there? Thinking
RE: Science book suggestions...
The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene.

[Image: the-elegant-universe-275x275-imadgug469vcewyf.jpeg]
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I liked this one: http://www.amazon.com/Origins-Fourteen-B...gins+tyson Good detail, yet very readable and accessible.
Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, thanks Smile

Found this youtube series as well which I'll be watching before I buy it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV_X2B5OK1I

Thanks festive Big Grin
Why does E=mc^2? and The Quantum Universe: Everything that does happen can happen by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw. What got me in to physics (good enough that I'm currently doing a (maths and) physics degree!) is The Big Bang by Simon Singh.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
Your inner fish neil shubbin,genome and the red queen by matt ridley, there not physics but it's what i like. Brian green is good as far as physics.
I am sorry to tell you that almoust every single scientific textbook I own....

is in German.

But I have some really excelent ones, and if you like I could look up if there are english translations available, or if those I own are actualy translated into German from English.
(February 8, 2013 at 3:20 pm)Napoléon Wrote: I've never been big on reading books, but I was considering going on Amazon and picking up something sciencey. Something along the lines of "A Brief History of Time" by Hawking, or "Death by Black Hole" by Neil DeGrasse Tyson. I'd like to read a book that's quite a bit about physics but doesn't require much understanding in that particular field, perhaps even a book on string theory that explains it in Lehman's terms.

Any recommendations? Are there any must have books like this out there? Thinking

String Theory (or as its now called, M-Theory) is a trickey beast. There are different version of it and there isn't an overall consensus. These are all available in English (and possibly German).

A cracking good book is Lee Smolin's 'The Trouble With Physics' - A good laymans' overview of the history of Quantum Physics from Relativity up to today and the competing theories (hence the title).

John Gribbin's 'In Search of Schroedinger's Cat' - more about how String Theory emerged and has a sequel called 'Shroedinger's Kittens'. (Gribbin's books in general are very good and he covers a wide range of topics).

Marcus Chown's 'Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You' - excellent for the beginner. Marcus writes for New Scientist.

I will also agree with Why Does E=MC2, by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw. This is also available on CD read by Forshaw.

I would say, because of the nature of QP and String Theory (M-Theory) you will probably need to read a few books to get all the approaches to it. But, keep going, it's well worth it.

MM
Here's a few I've read over the last few years, and all were accessible to this layman:

Decoding Reality: The Universe as Quantum Information by Vlatko Vedral.
Particle Physics: A Very Short Introduction by Frank Close.
From Eternity to Here: A Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time by Sean Carroll
Parallel Worlds: A Journey Through Creation, Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos by Dr. Michio Kaku
The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos by Brian Greene

I don't read much hard science, but this was good.

by Alan Guth

[Image: The-Inflationary-Universe-9780201149425.jpg]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  @Home suggestions? Gawdzilla Sama 16 1979 March 10, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  I found a neat book to teach kids the basics of Evolution Milton42 1 919 August 1, 2015 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7691 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Book exploring evolution and morality. Brian37 3 1727 March 23, 2013 at 8:15 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Time to book that Alaskan cruise you've been putting off. The Grand Nudger 4 1962 August 12, 2011 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4267 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe