Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism and the Interfaith Movement
Atheism and the Interfaith Movement
It might seem strange for an atheist to get involved with the "interfaith" movement, since that term "interfaith" seems to inherently exclude nontheists. Yet in my experience, I have been welcomed at interfaith events. My lack of theism was sometimes handled awkwardly, but an effort was made to include me.

If you are wondering what the interfaith movement is, it's basically a bunch of people with different beliefs coming together, either for its own sake or for a common good. As a result of being a part of the interfaith movement, I have a lot of Muslim friends, and they accept me in spite of my atheism and lesbianism. Here is one organization I have worked with: http://www.ifyc.org/

I really think this is a positive movement, but is it compatible with the atheist movement? Can I be an atheist activist and an interfaith leader both? Does having righteous atheist anger mean I can't be kind and work with theists?
RE: Atheism and the Interfaith Movement
All faiths and beliefs should strive for harmony. I don't require, nor desire, people of other faiths or lack of faiths to believe as I do except to have empathy for other humans.
If your an atheist activist who wishes to change other people's faiths, then the answer your question would be "no". I would say it's not possible nor moral unless you tell them your intentions.
If I misunderstand your wording, please forgive me...
(February 11, 2013 at 9:02 pm)catfish Wrote: All faiths and beliefs should strive for harmony. I don't require, nor desire, people of other faiths or lack of faiths to believe as I do except to have empathy for other humans.
If your an atheist activist who wishes to change other people's faiths, then the answer your question would be "no". I would say it's not possible nor moral unless you tell them your intentions.
If I misunderstand your wording, please forgive me...
I don't want to change other people's faiths. In fact, I find it fascinating that people are able to believe in any religion. I'm actually an anthropologist. I like being part of the interfaith movement in part because I have a chance to have really frank discussions with people about their religions and really get to the core of their beliefs.
OK, I think the term "atheist activist" threw me off. Personally, I think "activist" is pefectly acceptable without assigning any sort of faith to the activism.
(February 11, 2013 at 9:23 pm)catfish Wrote: OK, I think the term "atheist activist" threw me off. Personally, I think "activist" is pefectly acceptable without assigning any sort of faith to the activism.
Well, I mean, I would be an activist for atheist issues is why I used that word. But being such an activist isn't the same as wanting to change someone's faith.
What's an "atheist issue" compared to any other "issue"?
Interfaith can be a good thing but as with anything else the indoctrinated theists take over and it becomes a god fest.
I can't imagine an event like that ever going well...

Last year at uni, I met a fundamentalist Christian after having walked past him and his atheist friend in the library. They were discussing "Gospel truths" and I couldn't resist not correcting his wild claims. Long story short, a Muslim girl who did what I did (eavesdrop) ended up inviting us to the Muslim midday prayer meeting thingy that they have. Afterwards, my Christian aquaintance, 3 Muslim guys & I went to one of the cafes for a chat.

The conversation was fascinating to me because I had only just deconverted 2-3 months prior so I was in a position of intellectual freedom where I could ask questions to both parties and learn something. The Christian on the other hand was preaching it up big time. He wouldn't let most points he tried to make slip by without getting the Muslims to acknowledge it in one way or another. I remember he explained how [in his opinion] the Christian justice system was better than the Muslim system. He also shoved down their throats the idea that "four witnesses" to Jesus' story is better than Muhammad's isolated revelation. Basically, he was there to refute whatever was thrown on the table whereas the Muslims would answer my questions and his without getting us to agree to any extent.

This is my long winded explanation of why I think those events wouldn't work!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(February 11, 2013 at 8:34 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: It might seem strange for an atheist to get involved with the "interfaith" movement, since that term "interfaith" seems to inherently exclude nontheists. Yet in my experience, I have been welcomed at interfaith events. My lack of theism was sometimes handled awkwardly, but an effort was made to include me.

If you are wondering what the interfaith movement is, it's basically a bunch of people with different beliefs coming together, either for its own sake or for a common good. As a result of being a part of the interfaith movement, I have a lot of Muslim friends, and they accept me in spite of my atheism and lesbianism. Here is one organization I have worked with: http://www.ifyc.org/

I really think this is a positive movement, but is it compatible with the atheist movement? Can I be an atheist activist and an interfaith leader both? Does having righteous atheist anger mean I can't be kind and work with theists?

I actually study interfaith organisations for my PhD in my city in the UK.

The lack of non-faith representatives is actually an issue that is almost ubiquitous throughout every group I've come across, with often the terms 'atheist' and 'secular' becoming muddled to mean the same thing in the eyes of members.

Interesting that you're an active member in one. Seems like an area for a lot of research to be conducted in the future perhaps! There's a distinct lack of literature on it at the moment!
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(February 12, 2013 at 12:18 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: I can't imagine an event like that ever going well...
This is my long winded explanation of why I think those events wouldn't work!
Shockingly, though, it can work, and I've seen it work. The people in charge created such a friendly environment that I could feel comfortable coming out gay without fear of someone calling me an abomination. It was really nice.
I think the Interfaith Youth Core is doing some really great things. I only wish I could get my school's chapter of Better Together up and running. It ran out of steam before it even really got started.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Movement Is Spreading! Minimalist 0 575 August 23, 2016 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Minimalist
Wink Question about Rastafari Movement Mitja 21 10696 February 25, 2015 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: ObserveCollectAwaken
  The Purity Movement Nope 46 8107 December 25, 2014 at 10:22 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen