Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Purity Movement
The Purity Movement
This is for anyone who wants to jump down the rabbit hole of strangeness, I am putting up a few links to writings about the purity culture. Although I am going to include several links and quotes, some of the strongest criticism against the purity movement is among Christians who see it's emphasis on emotional purity and parent led courtship as harmful.

Quote:I grew up in the purity culture. I had a purity ring, made a promise to remain a virgin until my wedding night, practiced strict modesty standards, and committed myself to courtship. In college and the years that followed I began to question the teachings of the purity culture. I ultimately stopped wearing my purity ring, dumped my extreme adherence to modesty, and married without the parent-guided courtship I had been raised to expect. As I rethought the teachings of the purity culture I began to see them as not simply misled but actually actively harmful.

Read more: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfemi...z3MfJKHzwf
W
Quote:hat they're apparently told, judging from what they repeat, is that until they're 19 or older, Daddy is the only man who matters. Dating is bad because teenagers who date always ruin their lives.

It's true. The girls involved all say so. They say random dating will inevitably lead to unsatisfying sex, venereal disease and divorce.

As for who told them that, one guesses it's Dad - a Dad like Pastor Randy Wilson, who started the Purity movement and has five daughters enrolled.

His motive, he explains in a very, very, very calm and soothing voice, is to protect those daughters from the awful things in the world, which includes all teenage boys.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment...e-1.337606

Here is a blog post that encourages mental purity. Some Christians who are in the purity movement believe that having any type of sexual thought before marriage is a form of adultery. It is very strange because the young person might not have even met their future spouse(or even ever have one) and yet they are supposed to guard their sexual fantasies for this person

http://practicalpurity.blogspot.com/2008...mance.html
I don't know how old the writer of this blog is. She says that she graduated but she sounds youngish. She must be at least 18 because she writes that she graduated and worked for two years as a herbalist. I wouldn't have linked to her if I had thought she was a child.

Quote:6. Don't think of young men as potential husbands, and DON'T tell them secrets and stuff. If you wouldn't tell your boy cousins, than why in the world would you tell a completely unconnected boy?

7. Do not EVER allow your thought to linger on a young man, and don't think about what it might be like to hug or kiss or whatever. If we can take every thought captive in obedience to Christ (easier said than done; it takes lots of prayer and diversion) than we're on our way to emotional purity

Now, I, personally, don't read romance novels. I started to read them when I was about thirteen, but my Mom made me stop and I'm really VERY VERY thankful that she did.
RE: The Purity Movement
Those poor, deluded fools
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
Only religion will take natural biological urges and twist them into something dirty....and then ask you for a donation on Sundays, so it can preach to you about how said urges are sinful.
Sigh.
Walking time bombs if you ask me.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Send them the video of "Fuck Me In The Ass Cause I Love Jesus."
I think that the last quote from the girl discussing emotional purity was sad but she probably wouldn't understand why I feel bad for her.

This is a good example how religion can limit someone's life. This young lady can't share any secrets with male friends, read a romance novel or just think a dirty thought without feeling guilty.
(December 22, 2014 at 7:14 pm)Nope Wrote: This is a good example how religion can limit someone's life. This young lady can't share any secrets with male friends, read a romance novel or just think a dirty thought without feeling guilty.

It amounts to child abuse. These youngsters are damaged goods for life. Every enjoyment will carry with it the fear of damnation. That's what's making me most angry at religion.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I just find the Purity Movement utterly creepy and wrong. It's child abuse, "pure" and simple.
Crap.

There are very good natural and biological and economic reasons you refrain from sex, but purity movements are religious and utter garbage.

Natural reasons you don't have sex are unwanted pregnancy, STDs, lack of emotional maturity, and kids are expensive. But "save yourself" because marriage is pretty, is bullshit.
This shit would make me want to fuck so hard. When I'm not thinking of sex, sex doesn't exist. It seems these people always have an eye on it, consciously aware that they aren't thinking about sex- that's still thinking about sex in some shape.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Movement Is Spreading! Minimalist 0 566 August 23, 2016 at 2:17 am
Last Post: Minimalist
Wink Question about Rastafari Movement Mitja 21 10591 February 25, 2015 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: ObserveCollectAwaken
  Atheism and the Interfaith Movement My imaginary friend is GOD 9 2784 February 12, 2013 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD