Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hedonism
Hedonism
One of the things that bothers me most about religion is that it almost uniformly is about denying oneself pleasure. Also, moral theories are often about denying oneself pleasure. Therefore, I am drawn to hedonism, a philosophy that holds that seeking pleasure is not only good, it is the only good. While I don't necessarily agree with that philosophy wholeheartedly, it is interesting to me.

Are there any hedonists here? Is hedonism compatible with religion or morality? What are your views on hedonism?
RE: Hedonism
(February 13, 2013 at 4:06 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: One of the things that bothers me most about religion is that it almost uniformly is about denying oneself pleasure. Also, moral theories are often about denying oneself pleasure. Therefore, I am drawn to hedonism, a philosophy that holds that seeking pleasure is not only good, it is the only good. While I don't necessarily agree with that philosophy wholeheartedly, it is interesting to me.

Are there any hedonists here? Is hedonism compatible with religion or morality? What are your views on hedonism?

You're missing the fact that hedonism is a moral theory itself. Morality is about telling someone how they should live and what they should live for and hedonism posits one's pleasure as that goal.
Quote:One of the things that bothers me most about religion is that it almost uniformly is about denying oneself pleasure.

Of course, that's not for the leaders......

http://www.christiancollegesonline.org/b...y-scandal/
You might like to look here

https://www.facebook.com/spiritualhedonism?fref=ts

This might be good too.....

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hedonism/...ts&fref=ts#
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(February 13, 2013 at 4:06 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: Are there any hedonists here? Is hedonism compatible with religion or morality? What are your views on hedonism?

* Violet raises her hand.

Yes.

If you're never going to have a good time in your life, and you're not having a good time, and it's been pretty shit up till now: kill yourself. You might as well, especially if you walk dead.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Hedonism is basically the way i live my life, if i was rich i would basically enclose myself in an expensive hotel and fuck 24 hours a day with all kinds of different STD free women.
But with every type of pleasure ive obsessed over in my life its come with consiquences.
I think drugs come with more consiquences than sex so thats why logically ive chosen sex over drugs.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Havent heard that term since 7th grade greek lessons.

Ever been to Berlin?
Actually we are all hedonists (for want of a better word), including religious people. All people act in pursuit of emotional rewards. That's psychology 101.

Atheists/humanists seek their rewards here on earth.

Christians seek their rewards in the afterlife, or in community with god and fellow believers, or with the holy spirit, or they enjoy the certitude of a simple and stable moral culture, or they think Christian culture is good for a happy family and community life, etc.

Neuroscientist Antonio Damasio showed that humans cannot act without emotional stimulus. We become chronic procrastinators, or vegetables.

So the question is not whether we are hedonists/emotivists but, rather, what things we take pleasure in. Atheism v. religion, impulsive v. balanced, liberal v. conservative, strawberry v. chocolate, traditional v. progressive, etc. These are all emotional preferences when you boil it down (apart from the belief aspect of religion).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there other paradoxes analogous to the so-called "Paradox of Hedonism"? Porcupine 4 480 July 17, 2020 at 3:58 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  My new support for hedonism Transcended Dimensions 28 3263 March 17, 2018 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Mystic