Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
@Atheists
@Atheists
Could you please tell me why you chose to become Atheist?

I grew up in a Catholic church and 2 years ago, I started believing otherwise. All that I believed, was false, and I have wasted my time believing in a figment of my imagination.

Tell me your story!
[Image: final1361807471121.jpg]
RE: @Atheists
I don't think I can describe my becoming an atheist as a choice exactly. The reason that I became an atheist is because I couldn't find any evidence for the existence of any gods that I knew of, and I was not in the mindset that there has to be a creator. Once I realised that there was no evidence in front of me that a god exists, it made me question the various notions of religion, which up until then I had accepted as historical fact.
If you believe it, question it. If you question it, get an answer. If you have an answer, does that answer satisfy reality? Does it satisfy you? Probably not. For no one else will agree with you, not really.
Evidence is everything.
[Image: final1361807471121.jpg]
I didn't choose to become an atheist. I was born this way and have been ever since.
My deconversion began when I reached the peak of my faith as a Pentecostal Christian. I was so sure I had the right belief that I joined my first Atheist forum and began my "ministry" of apologetics. After a period of 4 months, I was faced with severe problems all across the board; credibility of Biblical documents, moral ethics, no evidence of miracles today, historical inconsistencies in the Jesus narrative, lack of personal revelations, the True Biblical Interpretation™, parallels to Pagan religions...

I basically was living under a rock feeding off the words of a mammal up on stage every Sunday. When I realised how wrong and naive I was, I had to be honest with myself and accept that the truth is no religion is true (because if poor baby Jesus is just a figment of Western culture's imagination, then to hell with the rest of the other religions!).
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
It wasn't a choice...it was a realization.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
There was no "ah ha" moment. There was a recognition that catholic religious personnel were morons and later an understanding that there is nothing to sustain the absurd beliefs of xtians.....or any other bunch of theists.
when I was 10 I read a book called Atheism...... /end story
I hated singing hymns at school. "He's got the whole world, in his hands". I thought it was a load of bollocks even then, but I guess I re-affirmed my position when I became 13/14 and started using the internet to explore science and reasoning. Also studying critical thinking as a subject in school helped me a lot. As someone else already said, there wasn't any 'ah ha' moment, but simply a gradual strengthening of my viewpoint as I learned more and more about organised religion and the many wholes in the idea of a deity.

TL: DR Educating yourself is good mmmkay.
I'm lazy, here's my story Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2197 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet