Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hopeless
hopeless
When mankind comes to an end does it matter what anyone's done if people might as well never existed?
RE: hopeless
Let's deal with that when it comes, ok?
Nope not at all! Pretty liberating thought though from my point of view.
It doesn't matter now that it won't matter then.
Our inability to make a permanent mark on the world does not diminish the things we can contribute to the world as it is today.

All is not hopeless by any means. The vast majority of people who have lived on this planet have passed through with little or no notice paid to them. But the impact they had on others during their lives are very real and have, in some small way, contributed to who we are as the human race.

So, in an eternal sense, perhaps we will not live on but we make our mark every day, contributing to the continuation and enhancement of the human race.

Live your life for what you can do, not what you can't do. Take joy in the contributions you make to mankind.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
(February 26, 2013 at 6:26 pm)scrythilb Wrote: When mankind comes to an end does it matter what anyone's done if people might as well never existed?

Yeh what ive done matters to me because i love pleasure so i do things that cause me pleasure.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(February 26, 2013 at 6:26 pm)scrythilb Wrote: When mankind comes to an end does it matter what anyone's done if people might as well never existed?

From another point of view:

Do you care about, or does it matter, that thousands of your skin cells died today? Would you be particularly attached to a certain cell?

You would be very sad indeed if your skin died en masse though. Loss of all of your skin is certainly fatal. So while any particular individual cell is of no consequence to you, as a unit they are very important.

After your own death though, your skin again loses all importance, either individual cells or as a whole organ.

But then their past performance was important to those that follow, either as direct descendants or as beneficiaries to the deeds that the skin cells once enabled.

Once all descendants and beneficiaries are dead, was their any significance to their original existence? Perhaps only to those that have the desire to mark the earth and the universe with their own personal graffiti.
Find the cure for Fundementia!