Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My coming to Atheism
My coming to Atheism
Hi All,
I'm new here and just wanted to quickly share how I became an atheist.

I was actually not raised in a religious home but as a child there was some kind of acknowledgment that god was there answering our prayers and keeping us safe and I never questioned or doubted it. I was only surrounded by people who believed in god and never met anyone who didn't so I never knew otherwise. Then as a teen, this was even further confirmed when I entered into a relationship with someone who was a not-so-devout yet serious christian, if that makes any sense. To further clarify this strange position, there was a firm belief in god and the teachings of the Bible but they were not always followed, there was a great deal of cherry picking. This person was raised in an evangelical christian home and went to a private christian school from preschool up until the 8th grade. Soon after dating we married and we presently have a wonderful life together with 3 awesome children.

About 2 years ago I began to question my beliefs. This led me on a search for answers and it didn't take long after for me to realize that believing in god is totally irrational. All it took was for me to ask questions, something I dared not do before.

The hardest thing for me was coming out to my husband. I originally thought I could just keep it to myself. However, I felt as if I was hiding a big part of who I am and I decided to tell him. He still has a hard time dealing with my unbelief and blames himself for me losing my faith, saying that he wasn't a good enough husband, christian, etc. and no matter what I tell him he still thinks it's his fault. It's almost like he thinks I'm a different person now. I guess in a way it has changed my worldview and we've had a few disagreements, especially about raising our children. I sure hope things get easier in that regard.

Other than that life is great! I have absolutely no guilt or fear of hell or judgment or any of the things I sometimes read and hear other ex-christian's say they deal with. I'm happy and I'm living life to the fullest.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to being part of this community!
RE: My coming to Atheism
Welcome. There are a few theist morons around but you sound as if you'll be able to handle them around.
My coming to Atheism
:welcome:
Hello and welcome to AF! ^_^

I'm sorry to hear that there's some friction with your husband, but don't worry, there are people here who can tell you that living with a religious spouse as an atheist is indeed possible.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Yo and welcome to atheism!

Group Hug

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble "Coming Out" RachelSkates 27 6256 November 2, 2010 at 4:21 am
Last Post: Ervin