Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble "Coming Out"
Trouble "Coming Out"
Hi all-

I am finding a tremendous amount of trouble coming out. Even when I do , I am not believed.

My sister came out before I did. We have many religious family members still. An aunt of ours who is also a missionary said, "She's not an atheist. She just think she's one..."

Huh? So if you can "think" you are atheist, can you also "think" you are an Xer?

It is taken for granted that religion is a good thing, and that an atheist is just someone who is a bit off. In my country you cannot even run for public office if you are an atheist, so strong is the sentiment that it is so important to human life that you cannot be rational without it. Imagine the guy in charge of the red phone without faith! (I would be more afraid these days if he does have faith. )

How did you all come out? Were you believed?
RE: Trouble "Coming Out"
Those are people with an amazing capacity to believe whatever the fuck they want....just look at their religions... so they generally have to be hammered with it for a while before it sinks in.

I suggest acquiring a line of offensive t-shirts to wear in their presence for a couple of years until the message seeps in.

[Image: im_your_friendly_neighborhood_atheist_ts...ml_400.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_kpvgphzx9Q1qzewk6o1_400.jpg]

[Image: atheists.jpg]

[Image: please_stop_talking_to_yourself_atheist_...yv_400.jpg]

[Image: atheist+5.jpg]

These should get you by Monday - Friday.
OH MY DOG! I love them!

"Please stop talking to yourself" and "No one has even been stoned.... by an atheist."

HAHA! Love them. Where, prey tell, do I find them?

I assume that link at the top to Amazon will take me there?

Haaaa. These are great.
http://www.zazzle.com/tshirts

They will make up anything you want.

Search google for "atheist t-shirts" to get some ideas.
(August 22, 2010 at 2:11 pm)RachelSkates Wrote: I am finding a tremendous amount of trouble coming out. Even when I do , I am not believed.

My sister came out before I did. We have many religious family members still. An aunt of ours who is also a missionary said, "She's not an atheist. She just think she's one..."

I've experienced the exact same thing. My mother says that I am not really an atheist. My father, curiously, refuses to speak on the topic at all. They are nominally Catholic-- they don't go to mass. They are conservative, but not too much (they both think the teabaggers are insane). My sister, while still a believer of sorts (not exactly Catholic but she does attend mass on occasion) is surprisingly sympathetic to many of my objections to religion. Perhaps it is also a generational thing.
“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran
(August 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Those are people with an amazing capacity to believe whatever the fuck they want....just look at their religions... so they generally have to be hammered with it for a while before it sinks in.

I suggest acquiring a line of offensive t-shirts to wear in their presence for a couple of years until the message seeps in.

[Image: im_your_friendly_neighborhood_atheist_ts...ml_400.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_kpvgphzx9Q1qzewk6o1_400.jpg]

[Image: atheists.jpg]

[Image: please_stop_talking_to_yourself_atheist_...yv_400.jpg]

[Image: atheist+5.jpg]

These should get you by Monday - Friday.

The guy on that top one is no atheist! That's Bob Dobbs!
The one thing everybody needs to remember is that I never claimed to be sane!
Who or what is "Bob Dobbs?"
(August 26, 2010 at 9:50 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Who or what is "Bob Dobbs?"

Church of the Subgenius
“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran
http://www.subgenius.com/
You've never heard of the subgenius? They've been around since the 70s I think. (Just noticed that Entropist linked,also.)
The one thing everybody needs to remember is that I never claimed to be sane!
@ RachelsSkates

That's frankly the oddest reaction I've seen from theists. I'm used to hearing stories about threats, yelling, indifference, or acceptance, but this is the first instance where the family largly reacted with denial.

I suppose it could be worse, but I suppose as long as you're consistent with your views, they'll eventually get it... for better or for worse.

(August 22, 2010 at 2:11 pm)RachelSkates Wrote: How did you all come out? Were you believed?

I brought it up on a related discussion. Naturally I became the center of attention once I did, but I explained my points, they accepted it, and life moved on. It was cool if very uneventful. My parents, while theists, are generally regular folks with their beliefs in the sense that they believe and go to church on occasion, but that's about all of it.
I honestly think I've used our bible more often than they have.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My coming to Atheism Salirose 4 1333 March 3, 2013 at 7:43 am
Last Post: xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx