Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life isn't about how smart you are
RE: Life isn't about how smart you are
Jesus freaks are proof of that.
David Hume was aware of the vanity of thinking too highly of his own intelligence, and wrote about this somewhere I can't remember. So was Stephen J Gould, during a Simpsons episode he asked to have a section removed where his mind was given a place of honor.

Humility is a virtue that will aid understanding.
Trying to compensate?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(March 5, 2013 at 2:47 am)jstrodel Wrote: David Hume was aware of the vanity of thinking too highly of his own intelligence, and wrote about this somewhere I can't remember. So was Stephen J Gould, during a Simpsons episode he asked to have a section removed where his mind was given a place of honor.

Humility is a virtue that will aid understanding.

Intelligence and humility are two different things...

Based on my old self, I think your endgame is a subtle agressive technique I used to use to lower atheists' guard. Make them realise that thinking too much isn't going to get you into heaven because it's what keeps you away from knowing God. Am I on the right track?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Intelligence is one thing, wisdom is another, but intelligence does help to gain wisdom, although higher intelligence doesn't always mean higher wisdom. I think intelligence without wisdom tends to turn vain. However I think intelligence practiced does bring more intelligence, and with moral reasoning and pure intention, it can lead to wisdom.
(March 5, 2013 at 2:36 am)jstrodel Wrote: Life isn't about how smart you are

Among sane people stupidity is not seen as a virtue and rightly so.
undefined
life is about trying new things and to not be afraid of the unknown

this is the meaning of life
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmM7-ByoFl8US4y_iRp5-...g86MG6N622]

It's about how good looking and charismatic you are.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Kind of depends on what your priorities are, I guess. Mine require that I constantly seek to expand my own sphere of experience and knowledge. Life isn't about how smart you are, but I'd certainly place importance in knowledge and becoming smarter in life.

Why do you think being smart is a bad thing, Jstrodel?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Smart women Ahriman 41 3839 December 18, 2022 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why isn’t weed legal everywhere? Fake Messiah 6 514 July 24, 2022 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Fist bumping isn't better for germaphobes Foxaèr 17 2657 September 12, 2021 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Your chance to see Melania standing next to a horse's ass...that isn't named Trump arewethereyet 8 681 November 24, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Maybe Vaping isn't a great idea. onlinebiker 9 1149 September 1, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  What would you do if you could remember every single moment in your life? c172 11 2467 October 13, 2017 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why isn't there a fight against unhealthy food like is for drugs? NuclearEnergy 22 5375 May 25, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Isis
  As smart as Min is, he is going to leave because he realized they wouldn't listen. Foxaèr 53 5291 February 6, 2017 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, reta 9 2102 April 23, 2016 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I am sure it isn't just me........ Brian37 2 714 April 9, 2016 at 10:02 am
Last Post: Brian37