Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disgusting
Disgusting
I was on a Facebook page about missing children, and there was a post claiming that a missing child was found. Which is fantastic. But literally every single comment said, "Thank God!" and "Thank you Jesus for answering my prayers."

Not one comment said "thank you those who searched and searched for this child until they were found." Nah, they thanked God.

Sort of comparable to thanking God instead of doctors. Disgusting to read.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

RE: Disgusting
It's just a way of people feeling like they are doing something, while actually just being lazy piles of shit.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Pretty much what one would expect from the lunatic fringe.

[Image: your-prayers-do-nothing_o_1082004.jpg]
It's worse when they praise their skydaddy for answering their prayers when they are a survivor of some accident where other people died.

"I praise God for answering my prayers and sparing me during that plane crash."

Fuck you! You think those other people who died didn't pray to be saved as well? It's the opposite of survivor guilt, and it is utterly disgusting.
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
(March 5, 2013 at 4:56 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: I was on a Facebook page about missing children, and there was a post claiming that a missing child was found. Which is fantastic. But literally every single comment said, "Thank God!" and "Thank you Jesus for answering my prayers."

Not one comment said "thank you those who searched and searched for this child until they were found." Nah, they thanked God.

Sort of comparable to thanking God instead of doctors. Disgusting to read.

And of course if the child was not found, the posts would have been something like, "Well, god had a plan for him/her". Or, "he's in a better place now".

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(March 7, 2013 at 12:32 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: And of course if the child was not found, the posts would have been something like, "Well, god had a plan for him/her". Or, "he's in a better place now".

I think these are some of the most horrid things one can say to someone who is grieving. "Don't worry, she's with Jesus now" is just so… insensitive? minimizing? I find it difficult to find the right word.
It's actually comforting for religious people to believe a loved one is in Heaven. I do not think it is insensitive at all, if you know the recipient of the comment is also Christian. I also do not give a flying fuck if people say thank god. I say it and I have never believed in god. It is an expression of relief. It sure beats them saying goddammit. Sorry, it's just that with all the things we can possibly pissed about, this doesn't even register as a blip on my radar. If they explicitly said that god found her and not the searchers, then I might be slightly peeved. The people out looking for that kid most likely weren't looking for thanks. Finding the kid was likely thanks enough. I guess my point is that you should probably relax a little.
A friend lost a piece of his finger last month and someone told him, "Just be thankful to the Lord that he didn't take your other fingers." Wow. And if you break my nose I'll thank you for not going for my crotch.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(March 7, 2013 at 2:27 pm)jrsm_10 Wrote: A friend lost a piece of his finger last month and someone told him, "Just be thankful to the Lord that he didn't take your other fingers." Wow. And if you break my nose I'll thank you for not going for my crotch.

What is he taking people's body parts for anyway? Do all body parts that get cut off go to God's spare parts cupboard?
Cunt
(March 7, 2013 at 2:27 pm)jrsm_10 Wrote: A friend lost a piece of his finger last month and someone told him, "Just be thankful to the Lord that he didn't take your other fingers." Wow. And if you break my nose I'll thank you for not going for my crotch.

I got this exact same piece of bullshit thrown my way when I injured my eye, years ago. "God has left you one eye to see, that's something to be thankful for!" or somesuch idiocy. I basically answered back that I didn't realize there was such a fucking shortage of working eyes that god needed one of mine at all, and that if I could create that shit out of nothing the last thing I would be doing is taking the few I do have away from me.

No answer came, so I guess I was on to god's little organ farm, there. Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!