Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hipster Christians
Hipster Christians
Have any of you noticed a particular breed of Christians arisen in the past few years about ages 17 to 23 that are all "hipster" about their faith? A large number of my "friends" on Facebook I'd describe this way. They dress like hipsters and spend all their posts talking about their relationship with God in the most facepalm inducing hipsteresque ways. They also post a lot of Instagram filtered photos of their outdoor prayer meetings. I can't tell what their theology is. Sometimes it sounds fundamentalist but it's also has liberal elements.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Hipster Christians
Your typical fundie here in Perth, Australia loves their coffee, have a Bible app on their phone that they use at Sunday mass, dress like a hipster & gather at cafés for Bible chats. They stress that their faith is a "lifestyle".
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(March 9, 2013 at 1:00 am)FallentoReason Wrote: Your typical fundie here in Perth, Australia loves their coffee, have a Bible app on their phone that they use at Sunday mass, dress like a hipster & gather at cafés for Bible chats. They stress that their faith is a "lifestyle".

Just when you thought hipsters and christians couldn't get more annoying they join forces.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(March 8, 2013 at 10:09 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Have any of you noticed a particular breed of Christians arisen in the past few years about ages 17 to 23 that are all "hipster" about their faith? A large number of my "friends" on Facebook I'd describe this way. They dress like hipsters and spend all their posts talking about their relationship with God in the most facepalm inducing hipsteresque ways. They also post a lot of Instagram filtered photos of their outdoor prayer meetings. I can't tell what their theology is. Sometimes it sounds fundamentalist but it's also has liberal elements.

This is regarded in evangelical christian circles as contextualizing, the reasoning behind contextualizing is order to essentially get more people to confess Jesus Christ as lord and savior. They dont get understand that a lot of people in modern society are deeply offended by the traditional Christian message, namely it is anti-science, homophobic, sexist, bigoted etc.

I find it ironic that the things these hip Christians love were only brought about through godless, materialist science which is condemned thoroughly in the New Testament at least. When the revolution comes those people I hoped will be forced to the life of people before the Scientific Revolution in the 17th century and see how they like it.
undefined
Never met any hipster Christians. Probably a good thing it would be almost too hilarious.
What is a hipster?
(March 9, 2013 at 7:36 am)Gilgamesh Wrote: What is a hipster?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster
Wrote:
2. Hipster

Definitions are too mainstream.
Hipster's can't be defined because then they'd fit in a category, and thus be too mainstream.

They don't even lift.
[Image: 9127_s6DFeEebJRLuxJR.jpg]
Sufjan Stevens is the coolest of the Christian hipsters. He is easily as cool any of the bands on Matador or Subpop.

It is true that some Christians are not as cool as their secular counterparts, but some are.

Moby is a Christian. Norma Jean are Christians. Kierkegaard was a Christian, I would say he is a major influence over the whole post-modern/hipster culture.

It is true that Jerry Falwell is not quite a cool (whatever that means) as some other people and "ReACT: God's news for teens" wasn't the coolest magazine in the world. But if you look at some of the greatest writers and poets and philosophers in history, many of them were Christians.

Just because Jerry Fallwell isn't cool doesn't mean that Christians are cool. Name any movement in history that has produced more writers, musicians, poets, philosophers, etc than Christianity (we are #1!).
(March 9, 2013 at 2:25 pm)jstrodel Wrote: Name any movement in history that has produced more writers, musicians, poets, philosophers, etc than Christianity (we are #1!).

Humanity.

Now what?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7835 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31254 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 51187 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  The first Christians weren't Bible Christians Phatt Matt s 60 15811 March 26, 2014 at 10:26 am
Last Post: rightcoaster
  hipster Atheist Drich 70 10682 March 16, 2013 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  Now Christians piss of Christians. leo-rcc 10 9947 December 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris