Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians vs Christians (yec)
Christians vs Christians (yec)
For last few months there was a bit of a clash online between right wing Christians who apparently acknowledge evolution and Ken Ham people in form of videos where they kind of ridiculed each other's views.
They even called for face to face debate offering $10k to each other but since it didn't follow through an atheist youtuber edited their videos so it looks like a debate.
Ken Ham even scratched some of his earlier claims (lied) like when he said that they never said you can't be a good Christian and "believe" in evolution because this is not something he usually preaches.

Here's the vid

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Christians vs Christians (yec)
Challenge each other to debates?  Gotta applaud that...imagine a world where dogmatic differences were only settled via talking about them.  *sigh*

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
At work.

I do quite like Paulogia's vids.

That one's especially naffy. Smile
When an atheist watches theists debate each other to many, it is like watching a Star Wars fan debate a Star Trek fan.
(January 10, 2019 at 9:24 am)Brian37 Wrote: When an atheist watches theists debate each other to many, it is like watching a Star Wars fan debate a Star Trek fan.

More like watching two Star Trek fans debating whether Kirk or Picard was the better captain. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 10, 2019 at 9:29 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 10, 2019 at 9:24 am)Brian37 Wrote: When an atheist watches theists debate each other to many, it is like watching a Star Wars fan debate a Star Trek fan.

More like watching two Star Trek fans debating whether Kirk or Picard was the better captain. 

Boru

Yes, within the sub sects of the same umbrella label, like Catholics debating Baptists sure. But the same analogy applies to debates between people of different religions. 

It still amounts to debating mythology.
(January 10, 2019 at 9:29 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

More like watching two Star Trek fans debating whether Kirk or Picard was the better c aptain. 

Boru

It' s more like two drunks with a pants load arguing about who shit in their pants.

Fascinating AND repulsive..
At work.

Or, as I read on a 'Demotivator' image,

"Two theists arguing religion is like asking the question..."

"Which person is more dead?"

"J.F.Kennedy or John Lennon?"
(January 10, 2019 at 9:54 am)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: At work.

"Which person  is more dead?"

Bad analogy, JFK and John Lennon were real and provable people. To die, you have to be born. Apollo, Allah, God, Yahweh, were products of human imagination. Those deities were not born, they were concocted by human imagination.
(January 10, 2019 at 9:57 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 10, 2019 at 9:54 am)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: At work.

"Which person  is more dead?"

Bad analogy, JFK and John Lennon were real and provable people. To die, you have to be born. Apollo, Allah, God, Yahweh, were products of human imagination. Those deities were not born, they were concocted by human imagination.

Actually, it's a pretty good analogy. Arguing about which imaginary friend is 'better' misses the point that 'imaginary' has no gradations. Same with dead.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 30510 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The speed of light, stars, and YEC? Voltair 178 87840 September 24, 2015 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 50552 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Question for Christians who are not YEC's Forsaken 16 3904 November 11, 2014 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Even Pat Robertson thinks YEC's are morons! SteelCurtain 10 2619 May 15, 2014 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  The first Christians weren't Bible Christians Phatt Matt s 60 15532 March 26, 2014 at 10:26 am
Last Post: rightcoaster
  I'm a YEC. Challenge me. JeffB 342 146433 November 14, 2013 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Dionysius
  YEC becomes OEC? Phil 3 1397 April 1, 2012 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Now Christians piss of Christians. leo-rcc 10 9905 December 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris