Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunset over Southern Indiana
Sunset over Southern Indiana
[Image: _MG_8960a_zps7dc68479.jpg]

Taken yesterday evening using a solar filter on my telescope. Note the sunspots. The focus was softer than I would have liked. The trees were about a mile away on top of a hill.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Sunset over Southern Indiana
Breathtaking!
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
I thought the sunspots were birds Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Thanks, Folks. When I took that photo, I was actually out to get a telescopic photo of comet Panstarrs, but it didn't work out. I should have much better luck with comet Elon when it comes around later in the year.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Not having much luck with Panstarrs here either orogenicman.... clouds rolling in before sunset...typical!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 14, 2013 at 4:23 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Not having much luck with Panstarrs here either orogenicman.... clouds rolling in before sunset...typical!

You live down under, right? Well, to be honest, you won't have any luck where you live since the comet is now viewable only from the northern hemisphere. Sorry.

- Dr. Donald Prothero
The sun looks pretty intimidating when you know how big it is. I mean when it looks clear like that.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Indeed:

[Image: size_of_earth_3.jpg]

The size of the sunspots in my image are about the size of Neptune.

- Dr. Donald Prothero