Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Move Over, Oldest Recorded Galaxy, there's an older galaxy in town!
Move Over, Oldest Recorded Galaxy, there's an older galaxy in town!
That's right, the oldest galaxy on record (which was supposed to be just shy of 13 billion years old is now edged out by a galaxy that's 100 million years older.
So when the universe was merely 600 million years old, there was already a galaxy.

==> LINK
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
RE: Move Over, Oldest Recorded Galaxy, there's an older galaxy in town!
It's going to be a real eye opener when results start coming in from the new James Web space telescope. I'm drooling already.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
I wonder if it is the actual normal faint surface luminosity we see, or a polar jet directed at us?

It would be interesting to know what type of galaxy it is, if it already possess complex structures like spiral arms and globular clusters, or if it indeed show evidence of cannibalism, which implies galaxies had existed significantly earlier still.
Impossible to say at this resolution, would be my guess. Spectral analysis suggests that it is very metal poorand rich in hot blue stars, which is no big surprise, given its great age.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Day Zero, Cape Town, South Africa vorlon13 30 2551 March 30, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Is there a real chance that there is a multiverse? SerenelyBlue 127 14355 September 15, 2016 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Alex K
Question Interesting debate over there ..... Joods 84 7328 March 1, 2016 at 11:39 pm
Last Post: Joods
  13.2 Billion Year Old Galaxy Minimalist 27 5128 September 11, 2015 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Honey, I Blew up the Galaxy AFTT47 0 680 March 16, 2015 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Messier 33, The Triangulum Galaxy orogenicman 0 711 April 26, 2014 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Scientists find oldest piece of Earth Cyberman 13 3021 March 2, 2014 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Oldest Galaxy Yet..... Minimalist 5 1588 October 24, 2013 at 10:55 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  MOND predicts dwarf galaxy feature prior to observations little_monkey 7 2472 September 1, 2013 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  NGC 2683, The UFO Galaxy, in Lynx orogenicman 0 1139 February 26, 2013 at 5:00 am
Last Post: orogenicman