Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Frodo Understand Science?
Does Frodo Understand Science?
This from Luke's Hilarious Quotes By Theists quote thread:

Quote:Like saying scientific fact is verified by other scientists I guess.

Either you want validation or you don't. Surely validation has to involve 3rd parties somehow??

Science isn't perfect Frodo and no one here ever claimed it was (to my knowledge) and it does have internal validation but here's the thing ... someone advances a new mechanism hypothesis in (say) the theory of evolution yeah?

Let me make this clear ... the scientist is an evolutionist (theist or atheist I don't care), the work he has been doing is some mechanism of the theory of evolution, his ideas will be published in a journal of evolutionary research. This is all (I presume) accepted by you.

But if you don't like the idea of another evolutionist (a scientist) verifying his work exactly who would you have it done by? Could you be more specific on this 3rd party?

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: Does Frodo Understand Science?
Well that was my point in the thread. If verification isn't by other accepted experts in the field then how does that make it valid.

My 3rd party was other experts in the field.
RE: Does Frodo Understand Science?
(September 3, 2009 at 4:50 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Well that was my point in the thread. If verification isn't by other accepted experts in the field then how does that make it valid.

Why accepted?

(September 3, 2009 at 4:50 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: My 3rd party was other experts in the field.

That wasn't how it came across but if that's what you meant then FE, my bad.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone help me understand this potential finding and what it implies? orthodox-man 16 2000 May 6, 2018 at 12:18 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Again, Science Does - Religion Just Whines.... Minimalist 1 774 March 28, 2016 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Please Help Me Understand Consciousness Mudhammam 17 3010 March 25, 2014 at 2:08 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7699 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Does confidence=faith in Science? (Guardian) Anymouse 12 3877 June 12, 2011 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4268 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe