Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can someone help me understand this potential finding and what it implies?
Can someone help me understand this potential finding and what it implies?
Can someone help me understand this article about time crystals? I don't fully get it

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/techandsci...id=UE01DHP

what would this imply?
RE: Can someone help me understand this potential finding and what it implies?
(May 5, 2018 at 2:52 am)orthodox-man Wrote: Can someone help me understand this article about time crystals? I don't fully get it

what would this imply?

It implies the author is an idiot, which can be deduced before you even get to the first period, right after “.....as they violate the law of conservation, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed”
LSD is a time crystal.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
It's referring to an extremely fussy and subtle effect of condensed matter physics. We aren't going to have transporters or replicators or warp drive based on this if that's what might appear at first blush.

The conservation law thing is the crystals need a temperature gradient to do 'their thing'. It's not perpetual motion or perpetual motion of a usable (flying cars!) variety.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

My prediction: there will be no follow up article or experiment.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
You might see if you can find a copy of Dr. Asimov's paper 'On The Endochronic Properties Of Resubliminated Thiotinoline'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
They just found a spare Tardis in the attic, is all.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(May 5, 2018 at 3:00 am)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(May 5, 2018 at 2:52 am)orthodox-man Wrote: Can someone help me understand this article about time crystals? I don't fully get it

what would this imply?

It implies the author is an idiot, which can be deduced before you even get to the first period, right after “.....as they violate the law of conservation, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed”

He happens to be right about pure energy being unable to be created or destroyed though. I haven't read any of the article.

Matter, anti-matter, dark matter... and whatever matter is made of... all consists ultimately of some form of quantum energy, in a very broad sense (as opposed to the disgustingly New-Agey sense). There isn't really anywhere that you can find non-stuff... for starters non-stuff is precisely not something that you can find lol.
(May 5, 2018 at 1:33 pm)Hammy Wrote:
(May 5, 2018 at 3:00 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: It implies the author is an idiot, which can be deduced before you even get to the first period, right after “.....as they violate the law of conservation, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed”

He happens to be right about pure energy being unable to be created or destroyed though. I haven't read any of the article.

Matter, anti-matter, dark matter... and whatever matter is made of... all consists ultimately of some form of quantum energy, in a very broad sense (as opposed to the disgustingly New-Agey sense). There isn't really anywhere that you can find non-stuff... for starters non-stuff is precisely not something that you can find lol.

It is the “violated” part, nor the “stated” part of the first sentence that makes clear the author is an idiot.
Interesting....
Quote:A weird form of matter called a time crystal has made an appearance in two more types of materials, doubling the number of known time crystal habitats. In a typical crystal, its arrangement of atoms regularly repeats in space, such as the alternating sodium and chloride ions that make up a salt crystal. But time crystals’ patterns repeat themselves at regular time intervals.

Both time crystals rely on a quantum property called spin, which makes some atomic nuclei seem to whirl like a top. In the time crystals, the direction of that spin flipped at regular intervals.

Repeated radio wave pulses were used to trigger the spins’ flip-flopping. But even when the spins weren’t flipped perfectly, both materials kept up a regular pattern of flipping, revealing that they had a preferred time structure.
in
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/time...-materials

Isn't it great when "news" don't accurately quote their sources?
I see nothing about any violation...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wim Hof and the potential of human beings Aegon 3 756 May 31, 2019 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Why are there significantly less women in S.T.E.M fields, what we can do to help ErGingerbreadMandude 32 4859 December 31, 2015 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Please Help Me Understand Consciousness Mudhammam 17 3024 March 25, 2014 at 2:08 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  We can dare to dream of the stars again, if only we can achieve this small thing. Annik 49 18187 May 17, 2012 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Someone help me out Napoléon 24 7950 April 18, 2012 at 2:24 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Does Frodo Understand Science? Kyuuketsuki 2 1887 September 4, 2009 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki