Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Higgs Boson confirmed
Higgs Boson confirmed
Yes that is right we (the scientists at CERN) found the 'God particle' or at least have a small margin of the error.
Quote:Scientists at the Large Hadron Collider say the particle outlined in July 2012 looks increasingly to be a Higgs boson.

The Higgs, long theorised as the means by which particles get their mass, had been the subject of a decades-long hunt at the world's particle accelerators.

Yet there is still some uncertainty as to whether the particle is indeed a Higgs, and if so, what type it is.

Results at the Moriond meeting in Italy suggest strongly that the particle's "spin" is consistent with a Higgs.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21785205
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: Higgs Boson confirmed
They have found, they think, a Higgs.

There is yet information establishing precisely what type of Higgs boson it is.

The type is extremely important to understanding the model of particle physics and which variant theory is more on the mark.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Big Bang theory confirmed (apparently) and amendments to make Joel 2 1856 March 21, 2013 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: Joel
  Asteroid killed off the Dinosaurs, confirmed. Napoléon 43 16321 March 16, 2013 at 11:15 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen