Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hack Attempt
Hack Attempt
I just received a phone call from someone trying to hack my computer, I had great fun with him!

The conversation went something like this (shortened, lasted about 10 minutes):-

Him "Hello you need to do some checks on your computer"
Me "Which one?"
Him "The one you connect to the internet with"
Me "I have 5 computers connected to the internet, which one has a problem and how do you know, have you been hacking my system?"
Him "Your main windows computer"
Me "I don't have a windows computer"
Him "What do you mean, you can't use the internet without windows!"
Me "I use linux not windoze"!
... long pause, then
Him "what?"
I don't use windoze, I use linux"
he then hung up!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Hack Attempt
Why don't I get these scams?

I have a Windows VM already set up and nmap/metasploit waiting for a would be scammer's PC!

Barf. I never get to torture the bad guys.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
I have only been attacked by phishers, who have gotten angry with me for reporting them. Fortunately I have always had decent passwords (and a mobile verificator for WoW), so they haven't ever gotten far Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Heh.

Since you play Blizzard games, let me inform you of a little security "secret" (open secret) that Blizzard wants to pretend isn't there.

Battle.net is in a bind.

Their old system from Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition uppercased all letters in the password entry.

That means that:

mYSeCrEtPassWoRD and MYSECRETPASSWORD and all variants in between validate for an account that uses any form of "mysecretpassword"

Due to this, the Blizzard does not know the original password that the user "knows".

If they were to fix this but not force a mass password reset (bad), the best they could do is split the authentication services to direct all older services to a legacy framework and all new "improved" services to the new framework.

But they didn't.

Battle.net 2.0, if I recall, suffers the same flaw.

Meaning that it is relatively simple still to break a users password if it is mostly alphabetical symbols, since the casing is irrelevant.

Herp derp Blizzard.

This is what I recall from my days participating the in Broodwar hacking community.
(March 18, 2013 at 1:28 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Meaning that it is relatively simple still to break a users password if it is mostly alphabetical symbols, since the casing is irrelevant.

Herp derp Blizzard.

Derp indeed! But no, I use other symbols too. And without the authenticator code, it wouldn't matter if my password was abc123(?) Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Yep.

My sister, to whom I gave custody of my bnet accounts, has noted that the sheer amount of account locks due to accessing from different locations is probably to force people to buy an authenticator.

I've unlocked my account no less than ten times in the first month of getting her on board.

But I ain't paying for an authenticator nor am I installing their stupid software onto my iPhone -- only asked her to use more numbers and non-alphabetical symbols in the password.
Which linux distro are you using?I'm using Kubuntu 12.10 with KDE 4.10 its the bauss
also are you using wine on your computer,because viruses can run under linux if you run them under virtual simulator.
also you should install clamav and ufw
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmM7-ByoFl8US4y_iRp5-...g86MG6N622]

(March 19, 2013 at 6:26 am)Phish Wrote: Which linux distro are you using?I'm using Kubuntu 12.10 with KDE 4.10 its the bauss
also are you using wine on your computer,because viruses can run under linux if you run them under virtual simulator.

Running Mint 14, Mate desktop clamav installed, not using wine
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(March 19, 2013 at 11:33 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote:
(March 19, 2013 at 6:26 am)Phish Wrote: Which linux distro are you using?I'm using Kubuntu 12.10 with KDE 4.10 its the bauss

Running Mint 14, Mate desktop clamav installed, not using wine

maybe he was using backtrack,also you should try to install ufw
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmM7-ByoFl8US4y_iRp5-...g86MG6N622]

social engineering it is called

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Analysis of a Facebook social engineering/Javascript "hack" Autumnlicious 4 3270 March 2, 2011 at 9:29 am
Last Post: fr0d0