Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
00's Stereotype
Question 
00's Stereotype
What will be the stereotype of the 00's? It doesn't seem like a generally agreed upon stereotype has been made.

How would you characterized the 00's in a way that distinguishes it from the decade we're in now?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: 00's Stereotype
I could draw you a picture of what the fashion was like (in my opinion) for girls/young women in the early 00's Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Rock music followers usually has the most diverse style and that's why decades are usually defined and remembered by rock music styles. 50s rock n roll, 60s hippy music like jimmy hendrix and the beatles, 70s punk rock, 80s guitar solo stadium rock bands like metallica bon jovi and all that, 90s is a bit more complicated grunge and indy music towards the beginning of the 90s but then nu metal towards the end. I think 00s was emo music as much as i hate to admit that.
I remember for years l was wearing big baggy jeans and at the time i was listening to disturbed and limp bizkit, and then all of a sudden i saw these new people around who were wearing very skinny jeans and looking depressed who had a long fringe part over one eye then i realized my teenage years were over and it was time to dress normally. Just because of practical reasons and the fact I have testicles I'll never wear skinny jeans.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(March 23, 2013 at 10:55 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: How would you characterized the 00's in a way that distinguishes it from the decade we're in now?

Mostly the war on terror and its focus on fundamentalist Islam at the start, and the collapse of both the tech bubble (although that started in the late 90s) and the collapse of the housing bubble and the resulting recession/depression.

I've always been a blue jeans and cheap sneakers kinda guy, so I don't have much recollection of what the fashion trends were. :x
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
We have crossed borders (at least in europe).

Via internet and the fall of the borders we have started to know and visit and maybe even marry each other beyond borders.
The european 00 may be born in Budapest, but he lives in Vienna, his girlfriend lives in Toulouse and his friends live in Berlin, G`Danzk and Barcelona.
Something which previous european generations didnt have and didnt do (at least not on such a big scale as today).

Except for the Brits, who enjoy their island isolation and would love to be the 51st state of the US.
(March 24, 2013 at 5:12 am)paulpablo Wrote: Rock music followers usually has the most diverse style and that's why decades are usually defined and remembered by rock music styles. 50s rock n roll, 60s hippy music like jimmy hendrix and the beatles, 70s punk rock, 80s guitar solo stadium rock bands like metallica bon jovi and all that, 90s is a bit more complicated grunge and indy music towards the beginning of the 90s but then nu metal towards the end. I think 00s was emo music as much as i hate to admit that.

I actually think hip hop/rap will probably be remembered more than emo music, if we're talking about musical stereotypes. I thought it was more memorable and influential. I think by the 00's rock music ceased to really be primetime radio material.

A lot of 'new age' rappers came about in this period, eminem, 50 cent etc. I certainly saw more of an influence from these guys than emo music.

Speaking of faddy clothing habits, was this not also the cause of the rise in wearing your trousers (that's pants for yanks) hanging halfway down you're arse crack in teenagers?
(March 24, 2013 at 8:19 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: We have crossed borders (at least in europe).

Via internet and the fall of the borders we have started to know and visit and maybe even marry each other beyond borders.
The european 00 may be born in Budapest, but he lives in Vienna, his girlfriend lives in Toulouse and his friends live in Berlin, G`Danzk and Barcelona.
Something which previous european generations didnt have and didnt do (at least not on such a big scale as today).

Except for the Brits, who enjoy their island isolation and would love to be the 51st state of the US.

No you have it the wrong way around the relesionship is like marriage the USA is the strong man, but UK wear the pants, well like to there there in charge were there going to become part of the Second British empire lol
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
Your typical Finnish high school girl in the 00's:

[Image: 00_s_stereotypical_girl__by_midorimokona-d5z8d79.jpg]
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Sequins. There were sequins and beads all over the boho type clothing that was being sold in American female clothing stores. Light, gauzy fabrics, and swirling embroidery embellished with said sequins and beads.

Towards the end, a lot of glitter all over the more "street" style stuff. This may or may not have influenced Stephenie Meyer and her sparkly vampire.

Also, the rise of "layering" in the form of 50 billion wafer thin pieces of clothing.

Don't ask me, though, I'm slowly moving towards "Mad Men" in my closet, with a nod towards "fetish".

Oh, God and those awful low-rise jeans. Thank FSM that's mostly over.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(March 25, 2013 at 2:18 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Oh, God and those awful low-rise jeans. Thank FSM that's mostly over.

Ramen!