Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List Your Objection to Symbolic Analysis
List Your Objection to Symbolic Analysis
Anyone familiar me knows I approach Scripture from a largely symbolic point of view. Many Christians object to this on the theory that if any part of the Bible is not strictly true in every sense of the word, then you cannot know if the essential elements of faith are true. To my surprise, many atheists also object to a symbolic interpretation saying that only a literal meaning makes sense for one reason or another.

My intention is not to debate the issue I just want to know: what is your objection to viewing Scriptures as conveying truths by means of allegory and symbol?
RE: List Your Objection to Symbolic Analysis
I view symbolism to be largely a fiction writer's tool. If one is writing nonfiction, other than for the appearance of flowery language, what use would symbolism be in describing the truth?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Quote:My intention is not to debate the issue I just want to know: what is your objection to viewing Scriptures as conveying truths by means of allegory and symbol?
My only objection to it is that when debating scripture, the theist (Christian, usually) will take it all literally until something comes up that he/she does not like. At this point, it will be taken as non-literal and will be twisted beyond recognition.
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
I have no problem with symbolism if it's obvious it's symbolic. If it seems otherwise, and a great amount of people, even the great majority of people, would on first reading, appear to them to be literal, then I would say, it's a fallacy of ambiguity, to say it's not. This is true, even if a literal meaning is proven to be wrong.
(April 5, 2013 at 5:47 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: My intention is not to debate the issue I just want to know: what is your objection to viewing Scriptures as conveying truths by means of allegory and symbol?

No objection at all. I would only recommend you go even further in that direction than perhaps you do. Why need God or Jesus be personal gods? Why should heaven and hell be places you get assigned to later rather than states of mind which are instantaneous? Eternity here has more to do with the depth and quality of the now rather than a duration of moments measured by a clock. Jesus' message that he is the way should be understood as direction for others to follow his example in becoming one with what we're calling god, whole in other words - not sheep.
Well, the problems comes when you attempt to take any of the bible as not allegory/metaphor. For example, was the entire resurrection story an allegory and of what exactly? What "truth" does it tell us if it didn't actually happen? How is this "truth" different than the "truths" of any other work of fiction? The entire episode could be taken for rebirth/renewal/springtime/whatever - not exactly the transcendent knowledge of the universe.

Another objection is, many theists use the metaphor/allegory approach as an escape hatch to pick and choose which portions to accept (the parts they like) and which portions to assign to metaphor (the parts that are heinous/ridiculous or contradicted directly by science). Not exactly a rigorous approach to determining "truth".
(April 5, 2013 at 5:47 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: what is your objection to viewing Scriptures as conveying truths by means of allegory and symbol?

My objection is that you only have two (2) options in how to regard the Bible:
1. It IS the Word of God
2. It IS NOT the Word of God

There is no sorta-kinda option.

If you disagree, you can kindly present the magical powers of divination you use to determine what the Bible "really means when it says..." Are you God? Are you an angel? What supernatural means do you have to know the true meaning of God's Word?

Additionally, what are you saying about God that any communication from this being is so garbled that it requires special translation? One of the fundamental qualities of good communication is clarity! Are you saying that God is a lousy communicator?
"You don't need facts when you got Jesus." -Pastor Deacon Fred, Landover Baptist Church

™: True Christian is a Trademark of the Landover Baptist Church. I have no affiliation with this fine group of True Christians ™ because I can't afford their tithing requirements but would like to be. Maybe someday the Lord will bless me with enough riches that I am able to. 

And for the lovers of Poe, here's your winking smiley:  Wink
If the original text is allegorical and or symbolic, I have a problem with anyone insisting on literal interpretation.
I have no problem with an approach that treats some of it as real and some of it as allegory or metaphor. It does muddy the discussion somewhat, because it's likely that there will be differences of opinion among Christians regarding at least some parts of the Bible, aside from the ones that insist that all of it happened exactly as written. As long as we're clear where a person stands on any particular story being discussed, I don't see the problem.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Objection to Kalam Cosmological Argument mrj 5 756 January 20, 2020 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Way to go USA. We made the ICC hall of shame list brewer 12 3017 February 8, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Finally! The definitive list of sexual positions which will sentence you to Hell! Jacob(smooth) 31 9442 February 19, 2015 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Lets compile a list of everything wrong with christ-insanity heathendegenerate 176 32839 March 17, 2014 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: max-greece