Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the beginning...
In the beginning...
God created (blank) from...

What material?

...and using what level of approximate power? (limited or omnipotent)

Don't wanna make assumptions, I'll wait for a Christian to fill me in.
RE: In the beginning...
It's an interesting question. Christians frequently assert that nothing can come from nothing, but also frequently assert that God made the universe from nothing at all. They also assert that quantum foam doesn't count as 'nothing', only absolute nothingness counts as nothing for purposes of universe origins. If God existed and was omnipresent, where did he get the 'absolute nothingness' he made the universe from.

Of course in 50 years, they'll be saying the 'nothing' Stenger refers to when speaking of the origin of the universe was the same 'nothing' God used all along, if more evidence comes along to support the 'universe from nothing' hypothesis.
(April 9, 2013 at 9:20 am)Texas Sailor Wrote: God created (blank) from...

What material?

But you already have. You assume that 'Christians' can tell you something that has not been recorded.

Because the bible was not written out like a Bill of Materials list we can not accuratly answer these types of questions.
...from Himself, within Himself.
(April 9, 2013 at 10:02 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: It's an interesting question. Christians frequently assert that nothing can come from nothing, but also frequently assert that God made the universe from nothing at all. They also assert that quantum foam doesn't count as 'nothing', only absolute nothingness counts as nothing for purposes of universe origins. If God existed and was omnipresent, where did he get the 'absolute nothingness' he made the universe from.

Of course in 50 years, they'll be saying the 'nothing' Stenger refers to when speaking of the origin of the universe was the same 'nothing' God used all along, if more evidence comes along to support the 'universe from nothing' hypothesis.

If you look at Genesis 1:1 something did not come out of nothing. "In the beginning God created the Heavens and the earth, and the earth was without form and void."

It says God created X and Y It does not say from nothing X and Y were manifested. We know this because the word for Create is the Hebrew ברא bara' it means to shape or form. The Idea is like taking a lump of clay or a rock and to shape it into a vessal.
Genesis 1:1-2 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

It's tricky to figure this out, but the impression is that he formed dry land and placed it upon a foundation of some kind. Because after saying that 'the earth was without form and void' it tells us that there was something called 'the deep' and that there were 'waters'. Was 'the deep' a 'void' filled with water, from which god brought forth land?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(April 9, 2013 at 10:19 am)Drich Wrote:
(April 9, 2013 at 9:20 am)Texas Sailor Wrote: God created (blank) from...

What material?

But you already have. You assume that 'Christians' can tell you something that has not been recorded.

Because the bible was not written out like a Bill of Materials list we can not accuratly answer these types of questions.

(April 9, 2013 at 10:19 am)Drich Wrote: If you look at Genesis 1:1 something did not come out of nothing. "In the beginning God created the Heavens and the earth, and the earth was without form and void."

It says God created X and Y It does not say from nothing X and Y were manifested. We know this because the word for Create is the Hebrew ברא bara' it means to shape or form. The Idea is like taking a lump of clay or a rock and to shape it into a vessal.

Glad to see my assumption was true and that even your own admitted ignorance would not stop you from trying to fill the gaps.
As far as I'm concerned John 1:1-5 is the origin story. "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being by Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
(April 9, 2013 at 10:46 am)ChadWooters Wrote: As far as I'm concerned John 1:1-5 is the origin story. "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being by Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."

So...He made everything from Him? You're sure you wanna head down that road? That's the story you're putting your name on?
(April 9, 2013 at 10:49 am)Texas Sailor Wrote: So...He made everything from Him? You're sure you wanna head down that road? That's the story you're putting your name on?
Not just mine. Plotinus, Swedenborg, and many others. It's a long tradition and has been recently called Panentheism (not to be confused with Pantheism).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This is the Beginning of the End Serafino 23 2043 November 25, 2023 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  How do you get from "beginning of the universe" to christianity? Chad32 56 15681 January 19, 2014 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Lek
  In the Beginning Man Was Stupid Cinjin 52 14715 November 11, 2012 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet