Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharing my thoughts
Sharing my thoughts
Well I find the whole idea of god and other deities ridiculous. How can a spirit magically rule human beings and what happens to you in life? Magic isn't real in any form, it's just tricks and illusions. I feel people's belief in god is their minds playing tricks on them and the need to feel there's a purpose to live, to get into heaven, to not burn in hell (but is your soul going to have nerve endings to feel the firey pits off hell?) Is your soul really going to have a mind to think and know what's going on?.... But what's the point? Live life just because you're a human on earth and enjoy it to the fullest......I think the bible is a book that a bunch of disgusting horrible people wrote. I have not read thru it and I really don't want to based off of what I've seen is in it so far, I'm just basing points off of stuff that atheist pages I follow on facebook have posted (who of them have read thru the book) and stuff I've googled.....all of the raping and cruelty and killings and all that horrible stuff in there. I mean just look at the story of noah's arch, god hated all of life he created so he killed them all and started over? ....and then growing up Catholic, the whole mass service of reciting and standing up and kneeling and all that crap is annoying....and then jesus is the son of the virgin Mary? Come on! A human cannot get pregnant by a spirit. That damn lie has fooled so many people it's ridiculous! You can only get pregnant by a sperm implanting the egg...Mary made up that story cause it was such a horrible thing to have a child out of wedlock.

And then people with their praying and thinking god hears them all and will do something about it? How does one spirit hear more than one person's thoughts/words all at once? And what are you praying for after a tragedy? That the people mourning can make it thru their grief? And to say it was that person's time to go just to make yourself feel better? That to me is like god is killing the person to bring them to heaven! Why would he allow thousands to die in 9/11? Why was it all their time to go? Why would he allow so many innocent people to die all at once? And to allow so many people to get injured and to allow all of those people's family and friends to suffer thru the loss of their loved ones?.....just like with Boston, why would he allow an 8 year old little boy to die and for his 6 year old sister to lose a limb and to allow all of those other people to lose limbs? Why allow people to struggle thru the rest of their life disabled and suffer all the medical bills and all of that stuff.

And to say that god chooses you to be born? He magically decides which sperm makes it to the egg first? What??? No it's scientific and is based upon ovulation. Male sperm are faster but weaker don't live as long) while Female sperm are slower but stronger (live longer), so circumstances determine what you have......and then why would god make a child disabled physically or mentally and have to suffer thru life like that? Or to make a child gay and then not accept them into heaven, because it's wrong to be so....how you are born is based upon dna and how the mother treats her body, what she's in-taking and not in-taking.

And to believe you've seen evidence of god or heard him talk back to you or he came to you in your dreams or you saw signs of heaven on the surgery room bed when the doctors are trying to save your life? ....It's all your imagination!!! Your imagination has convinced your brain it's true.

And then it makes me so mad and frustrated when people thank god that their lives were saved in surgery or something. No the doctors did that job! And if you think god is gonna save your life, take the IV drip out, take the ventilator out, the breathing tube out, and then see what happens.

Ok I think that's all my thoughts for now, random and jumbled as it may be.....I'm not good at debates and stuff or researching and proving my points to well and all of that stuff, but I just thought I would share my opinions with fellow atheists who may have the same thoughts and feelings as me.
"My heroes burn rubber, they bleed octane, they bite steel. They risk their lives on every turn on every track. My heroes race cars...fast cars...Start your engines baby!!! I'm a race fan!!!"
RE: Sharing my thoughts
Quote:I have not read thru it and I really don't want to based off of what I've seen is in it so far, I'm just basing points off of stuff that atheist pages I follow on facebook have posted
Don't 'not read through it' if you want to have a decent discussion about it. You won't be taken seriously, otherwise.
If you want to form opinions: you should have knowledge of it all. That's not fair on the people who have read it. You also can't engage in intellectual discourse based on the few parts that you do know. I can also say that the Atheist pages will only post the bad things. (Obviously) and whilst it's not all bad, you should have a thorough knowledge of the bible to debate the subject.
That's like me only knowing that people are killed by other people in cars (but not knowing what cars are/do) and I conclude that cars and the people driving them are evil, simply because of this.

Quote: A human cannot get pregnant by a spirit.
That's true... But if a God is real and is omnipotent, then it can do anything.

Quote:Female sperm
...Huh?

Quote:And to believe you've seen evidence of god or heard him talk back to you or he came to you in your dreams or you saw signs of heaven on the surgery room bed when the doctors are trying to save your life? ....It's all your imagination!!! Your imagination has convinced your brain it's true.
It's amazing what you can believe is real, just because you 'thought' you saw it. Unfortunately, this doesn't phase the people that have said they saw God.

Quote:And if you think god is gonna save your life, take the IV drip out, take the ventilator out, the breathing tube out, and then see what happens.
They'll come back at this with: "Well you've got to have wisdom." or "God gave us science."

Quote:Ok I think that's all my thoughts for now, random and jumbled as it may be.....I'm not good at debates and stuff or researching and proving my points to well and all of that stuff, but I just thought I would share my opinions with fellow atheists who may have the same thoughts and feelings as me.
You'll get better in time, if you want to and if you work at it.
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
I would also recommend reading the Bible. Read it for what it is, a collection of very old texts that were collected from a much larger collection. Don't worry about trying to hunt down contradictions and don't try to read it through the mind of a believer. It's a book, it has some interesting parts and a fair number of boring parts, and it retains considerable cultural significance today.

I don't think it'll help you understand the "theist mind" any better, though.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Valid points indeed, but I'm not looking for having debates on everything. I'm just a disbeliever in god in generality. And the stuff the pages posts are all bad, yes but that's a lot of bad stuff in the book and that's enough to not believe a god is good to me. Aside from seeing that he's not saving innocent people from being killed, even though he supposedly loves all life....and too with the way people spoke and wrote back then, it's hard to read, the words they used, we don't use those kind of words now.....and I've heard positive points as well, and it's annoying that theists pick and choose what they want to follow and live by. This one god is made up of everything in this book, since it's the book of his word and blah blah, you can't just pick out what you want, you have to take it for it's entirety, but that's a worthless debate.

And yes, female sperm. There are male and female sperm. That's what determines what gender the baby will be when the sperm implants into the egg.
If it's omnipotent it can do anything? That makes no sense. You cannot get pregnant without sperm implanting an egg. Or there's no possible human to form.

I know that doesn't phase the theists, and that's why they're such frustrating people. Their imagination has led them so far away from fact and common sense that their brains start believing their imagination is reality.
"My heroes burn rubber, they bleed octane, they bite steel. They risk their lives on every turn on every track. My heroes race cars...fast cars...Start your engines baby!!! I'm a race fan!!!"
Quote:If it's omnipotent it can do anything? That makes no sense. You cannot get pregnant without sperm implanting an egg. Or there's no possible human to form.
You don't seem to be able to grasp this concept. All powerful = the power to do anything. If it's outside of our nature (supernatural) then it doesn't have to adhere to our laws.
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
(April 21, 2013 at 11:58 am)Tonus Wrote: I would also recommend reading the Bible.

I wouldn't. You don't have to read the 9,000 page volume entitled "On the Manufacture and Proper Cut of Invisible Magic Fabrics" to mention that the emperor has no clothes.

To add - there are only so many books in ones lifetime, you never get those minutes back, and every bible read is one less Harry Potter - continuing further every Harry Potter is one less War and Peace..and that's pretty much how those tomes fall, respectively, on the totem pole of literature (in my estimation). I mean hell, if you're going to read something - one of our members published a book recently...willing to bet it's better written than the rag people turn to for divine guidance and you can even chat up the author if you have questions.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 24, 2013 at 9:30 am)Rhythm Wrote:
(April 21, 2013 at 11:58 am)Tonus Wrote: I would also recommend reading the Bible.

I wouldn't. You don't have to read the 9,000 page volume entitled "On the Manufacture and Proper Cut of Invisible Magic Fabrics" to mention that the emperor has no clothes.

To add - there are only so many books in ones lifetime, you never get those minutes back, and every bible read is one less Harry Potter - continuing further every Harry Potter is one less War and Peace..and that's pretty much how those tomes fall, respectively, on the totem pole of literature (in my estimation). I mean hell, if you're going to read something - one of our members published a book recently...willing to bet it's better written than the rag people turn to for divine guidance and you can even chat up the author if you have questions.

Cliff Notes for things like the Bible is generally enough. I'd keep one on hand that has extensive footnotes, though. My Tanakh with notes on controversial translations of words or passages is handy now and then.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(April 24, 2013 at 6:51 am)Joel Wrote:
Quote:If it's omnipotent it can do anything? That makes no sense. You cannot get pregnant without sperm implanting an egg. Or there's no possible human to form.
You don't seem to be able to grasp this concept. All powerful = the power to do anything. If it's outside of our nature (supernatural) then it doesn't have to adhere to our laws.

Well that whole idea is stupid, because that's not how you make a human being. Or an animal for that matter.

(April 24, 2013 at 9:30 am)Rhythm Wrote:

I don't get around to reading what I want to anyway, and I like to read manga and that's an easy read.
I'd put anything by Keinichi Sonoda or Masamune Shirow ahead of the Bible, for sure. And anything drawn by Tsukasa Jun.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Knee-jerk return to religious thoughts and actions BethK 8 2679 August 6, 2011 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: bozo