Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belief and knowledge
Belief and knowledge
What are your definitions for knowledge?

I hold that belief is like a sliding scale thing - one may have a little to a lot of belief that something is the case - right up to certainty.

I believe that knowledge is knowing something to be true - I also maintain that people have certainty in their knowledge: I.e. they believe it 100%

Quite simple

Should I adopt a superior distinction?

Should I hold that people do not believe what they know?

What are your definitions...
Kudos given by (1): Dawud
RE: Belief and knowledge
Dead Horse
(April 23, 2013 at 6:35 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: Dead Horse

I couldn't have said it better myself.

An exceedingly lame response. Why not make the effort to address the question instead of dismissing the OP? It seems that a lot of people on this forum are far more interested in receiving petty little "kudos" ratings rather than engaging in an intelligent discussion. Dawud, don't make yourself a target for ridicule because some of the members are ruthless.

Dawud, if you are genuinely interested in the abstract analysis of "knowledge", I recommend that you read about topics in the field of epistemology. Reading the opinions of famous epistemologists — Immanuel Kant, Plato, Socrates, Bertrand Russell, St. Thomas Aquinas, to name a few — would be a good starting point. Also, be original and have faith in your own conclusions.
(May 3, 2013 at 6:48 am)Love Wrote:

An exceedingly lame response. Why not make the effort to address the question instead of dismissing the OP? It seems that a lot of people on this forum are far more interested in receiving petty little "kudos" ratings rather than engaging in an intelligent discussion. Dawud, don't make yourself a target for ridicule because some of the members are ruthless.

Dawud, if you are genuinely interested in the abstract analysis of "knowledge", I recommend that you read about topics in the field of epistemology. Reading the opinions of famous epistemologists — Immanuel Kant, Plato, Socrates, Bertrand Russell, St. Thomas Aquinas, to name a few — would be a good starting point. Also, be original and have faith in your own conclusions.

The man believes it is his child, the woman knows. There is no sliding scale. They are two entirely different concepts. That is why they are different words.
Belief is believing something to be true. There can be varying degrees of belief up to certainty. In order for belief to be knowledge, not only must the belief be true, but the one holding the belief must be able to justify it (if they believed it and it were true, but they had not justification, they would simply have guessed correctly, and one wouldn't say they knew the thing beforehand.) That is why knowledge is sometimes called "justified true belief".

One cannot know something without also believing it.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
1.Knowledge : Thing about we are sure and who are true.
Examples :
1.The earth is a sphere.
2.The existence of gravity.
3.Your colour of skin.
4.Guns can kill.
5.Know that all these things are true.

2.Belief : Thing about we believe because we can't be sure to 100%.
Examples :
1.The existence of God.
2.The fact that you're beautiful. ( You can't be sure like this is just a feeling).
3.The existence of heaven , hell , reincarnation etc...
4.A false thing that you think to know. This is not true like this is false therefore you don't know because you believe that this is real.
5.All these things.
Of course there is always the Electra paradox. Electra says she knows Cicero, but she does not know Tully. Tully and Cicero are actually the same person by a different name. So does she know Tully?
(May 6, 2013 at 10:21 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Of course there is always the Electra paradox. Electra says she knows Cicero, but she does not know Tully. Tully and Cicero are actually the same person by a different name. So does she know Tully?
If she knows Tully then she would have known Tully and Cicero are the same person...so i'd go with no.
~ Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give a man a religion and he'll die praying for a fish.
(May 6, 2013 at 10:21 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Of course there is always the Electra paradox. Electra says she knows Cicero, but she does not know Tully. Tully and Cicero are actually the same person by a different name. So does she know Tully?

Knowing a person and knowing the name(s) of a person are different things. Lewis Carroll covered it along with two other possibilities, that which we call the person and that which we call the name of the person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belief without Verification or Certainty vulcanlogician 40 3240 May 11, 2022 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 1701 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Is Belief in God ethical? vulcanlogician 28 2521 November 1, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  my suggestions of seeking knowledge. Mystic 70 9970 March 18, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Limit of knowledge? SamWatson 23 3934 April 9, 2017 at 7:15 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Logic Fallacies: A Quiz to Test Your Knowledge, A Cheat Sheet to Refresh It Rhondazvous 0 981 March 6, 2017 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Is knowledge the root of all evil? Won2blv 22 5751 February 18, 2017 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  William James and Belief In Belief Mudhammam 0 617 November 2, 2016 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  The origins of Humanities Objective Knowledge and the fundamental mistake of behavior fdesilva 6 1387 August 19, 2016 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: PETE_ROSE
  Explicit vs Implicit Knowledge LivingNumbers6.626 9 2101 July 9, 2016 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: robvalue