Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deconversion process help me
Deconversion process help me
Here I am. Just like almost every ex-Christian coming to atheism, I have a similar story. Although, I was brought up as a Christian, It wasnt extreme, it was just what I knew, it was fact. Jesus died for me and that was that. About 1 year ago the doubts started. Of course I tried to strengthen my faith 2 months ago, it worked for about 3 weeks and my faith went down the shitter again lol. I always questioned the existence of Jesus. I remember saying something to my dad when I was like 13 about how do I KNOW he is real? He just told me to have faith. About 2 weeks ago I looked in to atheism and it was like holy crap this is how I've felt for a very long time. It clicked. So now I'm leaving christianity. My question is how do I go about this decinversion process? How do get rid of these morals and fear of hell that have been branded upon me? What do I do?
RE: Deconversion process help me
First off magic babies are not real, there is no such thing as "god sperm". Plus it takes two sets of DNA to make a baby. And human flesh does not survive rigor mortis so the death story is bogus too.

But even before you get to word 1 of that book, they are still postulating an invisible non material magical super brain. But they are not the only superstition in the world.

Anywho, be sure to barbecue kittens record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.
Educate yourself. Read, listen, THINK.

There is tons of information out there to be found.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
(April 25, 2013 at 12:26 pm)Brian37 Wrote: First off magic babies are not real, there is no such thing as "god sperm". Plus it takes two sets of DNA to make a baby. And human flesh does not survive rigor mortis so the death story is bogus too.

But even before you get to word 1 of that book, they are still postulating an invisible non material magical super brain. But they are not the only superstition in the world.

Anywho, be sure to barbecue kittens record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.

Lol BBQ kittens. Got it. Thank y'all
Read the Bible or if you're too damn lazy go to evilbible.com. You're probably not going to loose faith instantly but it's going to be gradual process. In my case it took me 5 years to go from Catholic to Deist (someone who believes that there is a God but he doesn't intervene) to Agnostic (maybe there is a God, maybe there isn't) to Atheist (I see no evidence to believe in God) to Anti-Theist (definitions may vary but mine is that "I don't believe in God and the world is better off without him").
How to get over fear of eternal torture for not worshiping God? It is definitely harder but the following quote from Marcus Aurelius helped me a lot:
Quote:Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.
The deconversion process is usually a long and sometimes difficult one, depending on how much your social and family life is intertwined in your former religious affiliation. It sounds as if your background is a mild one so you may have an easier time than some.

It's usually much like what you described of your own experience. You have nagging doubts and unanswered questions. Then you pick up some apologetics that bolsters your crumbling faith (the real audience for Stobel, Craig, McDowell, et. al. are not the unbelievers that need convincing but the ones who are starting to doubt). Then your faith is somewhat restored for a time. Then more doubts creep in. Etc. The process is usually so gradual that many ex-Christians can't even say when they officially became atheists.

The fear of Hell can be an issue for the more heavily indoctrinated, even when the former believer rationally knows the concept is absurd. Fears drummed into your head are hard to get rid of, no matter how silly they may be. Just think about it as logically as you can. Why would a just and supposedly loving god send people to eternal torment for the only crime of existing and not believing ridiculous things without evidence? And what's the point of creating this who universe if it's just a way-station to eternity, especially where the overwhelming majority are all going to Hell? And so on...

Morality, when you think about it logically, is a function of how we treat our fellow human beings. You'll find it actually gets easier to think about when you discard all the garbage of victimless crimes like blasphemy, idolatry and apostasy. The moral landscape actually becomes simpler and easier to understand when you get rid of the angry bearded guy in the sky.

Hope this helps.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
You do realize every time a Christian deconverts into a heathen scum, an angel dies and Jesus pulls out one of the hairs on his head. This is a KNOWN FACT. (From what I've seen of some theists, BOLD makes things TRUE!) When Jesus goes bald, the End Times will Begin! (Also make sure to Capitalize Words in Weird Ways. Also makes Things TRUE!)

and Welcome to the Shark TANK! Keep arms and legs inside at ALL Times!

But Hell is def a worry. Have you ever been in San Bernadino in August? It's not hell but you can see it from there.
Wow, guys thank you. I am definitely too lazy to read the whole bible so I will check that site out. It is unreal how nice it is to talk to people like y'all. It is very comforting in this confusing time of mine.
[Image: CometotheDarkSide.jpg]
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(April 25, 2013 at 12:56 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: [Image: CometotheDarkSide.jpg]
Ahh you guys are great, just talking to you guys is boosting my mood! Hey some of y'all contact me! Pen pals?

I love cookies... Jesus always told me to give my cookies away. Fucker lol

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deconversion of a Preacher's Son Old Baby 2 1375 February 22, 2016 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Old Baby
  My strange deconversion Excited Penguin 20 4482 July 8, 2015 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  My Deconversion Story PhilliptheTeenageAtheist 26 5389 June 2, 2015 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  My Deconversion Story warlocksarebest 15 4549 November 20, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Logical Adolecent
  A Southern Baptist's Deconversion Revisited L.A.F.2. 1 1700 October 1, 2014 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Lucanus
  My Deconversion ComradeMeow 2 1718 August 21, 2014 at 3:47 am
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  The deconversion of the preacher's kid christianatheist 11 3995 August 20, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: JimmyM35
  not a recent deconversion xpastor 13 4747 September 30, 2013 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Deconversion gilbertc06 0 1165 September 22, 2013 at 2:57 am
Last Post: gilbertc06
  Push me over the edge ! (Deconversion!) Mzungu 16 7981 June 30, 2013 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: MikeTheInfidel